Students suspended for wearing Confederate flags to protest gay rainbow flag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the argument, and agree with you between the lines, but we're talking two completely different representations. This isn't a pro-gay vs pro-straight. It's more like pro-gay vs. pro-lynch the non-whites there. That's probably where we disagree

You know, while in principle I see what you are saying, that isn't how it works. I am a believing Catholic and if I go work and someone wearing his rainbow lapel pin asks me to support gay rights and I say that I believe homosexual acts are objectively disordered, though the homosexual person is entitled to all rights that any other person has, I will be "counseled and re-trained" essentially for thinking wrong with no act of any kind alleged or proven. He, for wearing an open advocacy statement of what I find deeply offensive will have nothing, zero, zilch happen (BTW - I wouldn't want him "re-trained" for thinking wrong). The event described was a composite of two different events - neither of which happened to me - but essentially accurate.

Do you really believe that the result would have been different if these kids wore shirts with rainbow flags inside a red circle-slash? They are essentially being silenced for thinking wrong in the estimation of highly influential and noisy very small minority groups. This result is becoming very common in our society. No action need be taken - simply think or talk incorrectly and you will be silenced.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, while in principle I see what you are saying, that isn't how it works. I am a believing Catholic and if I go work and someone wearing his rainbow lapel pin asks me to support gay rights and I say that I believe homosexual acts are objectively disordered, though the homosexual person is entitled to all rights that any other person has, I will be "counseled and re-trained" essentially for thinking wrong with no act of any kind alleged or proven. He, for wearing an open advocacy statement of what I find deeply offensive will have nothing, zero, zilch happen (BTW - I wouldn't want him "re-trained" for thinking wrong). The event described was a composite of two different events - neither of which happened to me - but essentially accurate.

Do you really believe that the result would have been different if these kids wore shirts with rainbow flags inside a red circle-slash? They are essentially being silenced for thinking wrong in the estimation of highly influential and noisy very small minority groups. This result is becoming very common in our society. No action need be taken - simply think or talk incorrectly and you will be silenced.

All to true. People in the military are facing charges and reprimand if they dare to say anything that does not toe the party line.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All to true. People in the military are facing charges and reprimand if they dare to say anything that does not toe the party line.

I don't think that during 'Nam and the draft, the military had a policy against drafting gays. Otherwise a lot of guys would have been claiming they were gay in order to get out of going to 'Nam. There's plenty of 'Nam vets who can weigh in on this. What I think the military had was a regulation against sodomy.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pedophilia and beastiality might qualify. Are those considered a form of "orientation"?

No. Anything between willing, consensual adult partners, keep it to yourself and we're cool. Anything where you force the other person (pedophilia, beastiality, rape, human trafficking...) and I'd kick you in the junk before I'd speak a pleasant word to you.

For the aforementioned, throw it in my face and dare me to disagree, and I'll look at you like a three eyed alien, then dismiss you as not worth the bother to correct your errant behavior.

Does that about cover it? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom