Stupid, petty, vain, greedy...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I can say is that elections are not term limits. You have to have a hard and fast rule that eliminates a person's ability to hold an elected off more than 2 terms, period, just like the prez. I would like to see a limitation that also limits them to one branch- either the house or the senate, no doubles.

Then you take away the freedom of an individual to choose who they wish to vote for in an election. I have to side with Madison on this one.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then why term limit the President?

My belief is because of the massive Executive power he/she as an individual wields. It's worth a debate though; IIRC, Hamilton was adamant within The Federalist Papers about not allowing a limit on the PUSA. I could be wrong though.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually we would not be having this discussion at all if the Dem controlled Senate had bothered to write and vote on a budget for the coming year. Something they are required by law to do every year but have not done since 2009.

The fact that the Democratic Party controlled Senate has not passed a budget in 5 years CANNOT be stressed enough. While the House of Representatives have performed their duties to the budget every year, the Dems have been throwing crap in our faces every year. For those not familiar with continuing resolutions (those instruments that have to be passed in order to fund the government every year when a budget is not passed), they force every agency to repeat the purchases that were appropriated in the last budget. So, for instance, if the Army had 10 helicopters funded in the last budget, they have to buy 10 more every time a CR is passed, even though they may need other items instead.

For the last few years, the numbers of individuals registering to be a Democrat has been declining. Republican and Independent registrations in Oklahoma have been far outpacing the Democratic Party registrations.

In addition, I noticed a poll on Huffpo (of all places) where even 51% of the Huffpo readers thought that the Democrats deserved more blame for the shutdown and gridlock than what did for the Republicans. When the Huffpo readers start turning, things are bad for those leaning left.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My belief is because of the massive Executive power he/she as an individual wields. It's worth a debate though; IIRC, Hamilton was adamant within The Federalist Papers about not allowing a limit on the PUSA. I could be wrong though.

Keep in mind that term limits for the President began with Franklin D. Roosevelt. I have family that believed that he kept getting reelected because he was promoting and passing "welfare" for the people. Who was it that said that when the people learn that they can "vote more largess from the public funds" will have changed this country? (Or something to the effect of those words.) Now you have Obama doing the same thing. With his failures with all things economic in his first term, he should have never been elected for a second one. Except that he had learned from Roosevelt to provide largess to the "public" from the government coffers.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I look at the whole elected officials thing as a big, popular business. If I'm the new kid on the block that came out with a new shoe and tried to compete with Nike, I would be crushed because of the $$ that Nike has to market against me. Don't get me wrong, I might have a better product, and the people that try it love it; but it doesn't change the fact that people would rather just stick with what they know and buy the Nike shoe.

The same goes for politics. Once you're in, you're in. You're part of the big business, and as long as you don't go against the people that pay for your campaign, you're set. If they want you to stay in, they will dump loads of cash into marketing your name. To make sure the new guy/gal (that they are unsure of) will lose. Market entrance therefore, is tough. The new individual might get the support of his local community, but it won't be enough to get to the show.

Granted, it's still on the people to make the decision. However, people (in general) are too self-centered. They're too concerned about the next i-gadget or if their shows were all recorded. The majority of people could care less about who is their elected official, as long as it doesn't directly affect them. Even then, they will blame "the government" as a whole and not look at their direct representative.

What am I going to do about this? Most likely, nothing. I'll do what I can to point individuals I speak to to the facts, or at least point them in the right direction so they can find out for themselves. And, of course, vote. I choose not to give up on our nation, but it's getting tougher wading through all the BS.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that term limits for the President began with Franklin D. Roosevelt. I have family that believed that he kept getting reelected because he was promoting and passing "welfare" for the people. Who was it that said that when the people learn that they can "vote more largess from the public funds" will have changed this country? (Or something to the effect of those words.) Now you have Obama doing the same thing. With his failures with all things economic in his first term, he should have never been elected for a second one. Except that he had learned from Roosevelt to provide largess to the "public" from the government coffers.

Madison didn't get everything he wanted put into the document but Jefferson penned the precedent on his way out of office which most PUSA after adhered to until it was finally manifested as the 22nd Amendment.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arbuckle Lake and the entire CNRA is completely shut down. I do feel sorry for those whose livelihoods are affected, but a lot of people are going to hurt if there's any hope of getting a grip on this country. It has to start somewhere. I just hope the repubs and tea party don't cave to the king.

That's why God invented bolt cutters. :D

As for the rest, I flat out offered my boss to "take one for the team" and go home for the next 2 weeks without pay (or even back pay) if they'd just let me GTF away from them. No dice. :(

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

In addition, I noticed a poll on Huffpo (of all places) where even 51% of the Huffpo readers thought that the Democrats deserved more blame for the shutdown and gridlock than what did for the Republicans. When the Huffpo readers start turning, things are bad for those leaning left.
I think you're imagining things.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only leverage they have is to **** with the livelihoods of their own countrymen when its really their fault for not being a better party with better ideas and for losing two elections to a half black man with a foreign name in America. Bunch of sore losers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom