Sunday holster project...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont think the patent applies to this design. If you click that link I posted, it shows a completely different design, with no leather involved...

Plus I found another holster company that makes this style holster too. Its called "The Answer Holster" made by Tucker Gunleather, its $125. If MTAC had a patent, I'm sure this company wouldn't be making them too..

None the less, I did find everything locally. I went to Tandy for the leather supplies and clips, and try some of the local plastics distributors for the Kydex. If you dont want a full sheet, ask if they have any remnants...

Maybe they pay a licensing fee on each holster.
Kind of like all the Win. Rem. Ruger stuff you see turning up in stores made in China.
They pay those companies to use the name.
A lot of compaines make more money off licensing than they do manufacuring a product.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe they pay a licensing fee on each holster.
Kind of like all the Win. Rem. Ruger stuff you see turning up in stores made in China.
They pay those companies to use the name.
A lot of compaines make more money off licensing than they do manufacuring a product.

Valid point, but wouldn't they use the name of the company/product that they are licensing. The stuff you are refeerring to at least uses the Win. Rem., or Ruger names, right? The Answer holster is a little different than the MTAC, just like mine is a little different.

I honestly do think those are both a little nicer, with stitching and what not, but the cost is what offset me from either. I dont see any of them really wearing out.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It just think its cool that you did it for a cheap and showed everyone how easy its done. As for people being interested in help or advice might try using a PM.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It just think its cool that you did it for a cheap and showed everyone how easy its done. As for people being interested in help or advice might try using a PM.

Don't understand.. Isn't sharing information what the forums are all about. Most questions/answers on something like this are helpfull to many more than just the two asking/answering.

Or did I misread what you were trying to say?

I would like to know what thickness leather and Kydex was used?

minman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't understand.. Isn't sharing information what the forums are all about. Most questions/answers on something like this are helpfull to many more than just the two asking/answering.

^^^+1
Yes, if you have any more advice, please share it in the open forum. I'm looking at trying to make one of these for myself. Thanks for posting up all the info you have. Your holster looks awesome. I was wondering what thickness leather you used as well.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah, you missed my point but that's okay. About the PMs, I meant that more to the non-DIYers. ;)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
As I am neither a lawyer, nor is OSA in any way responsible, and neither do we intend to research the patents for you; I highly recommend doing your own research and verifying any patent infringement possibilities, before posting any for sale here publicly.

Second, Comptac is a sponsor here, please verify with the administration before posting items for sale. As an Oklahoma board, we encourage local people in the gun industry, however we must also be as fair as possible to our sponsors.

On a more personal note, I know there are others who dabble in leather/kydex work here, so I am sure you can find a lot of information here. I need another hobby like I need a bad habit, or I would be trying my own too.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did one just like this for my beretta, but the leather I used was a piece of tooling leather I got from tandy (about 5oz if I remember correctly) and it feels kind of thin and cheap, so I've been thinking about replacing the leather. Mind revealing your leather source?

Latest posts

Top Bottom