Surging home insurance costs could force families to leave these 10 states (OK is one)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't agree with the meds thing. Im on maintenance meds that cost 44 through my insurance, or 3 bucks if I go to walmart and tell them I dont have insurance.

and banks give out unsecured loans all the time. It's not like it's a new practice for them.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't agree with the meds thing. Im on maintenance meds that cost 44 through my insurance, or 3 bucks if I go to walmart and tell them I dont have insurance.

It doesn't really matter if you agree or not. Unless they are subsidized, meds are typically more expensive in cash. Sure you can buy drugs from Walmart's $4 list. Kind of funny how that proves my point about capitalism providing solutions. But that list is limited. One of my son's inhalers is $400 cash. He has two different ones, not sure what the other costs. My eliquis is ~$600 cash. Avastin, the most commonly prescribed drug for cancer is ~$800 a month cash.

and banks give out unsecured loans all the time. It's not like it's a new practice for them.

You are correct, they give them out, in personal loans and things like credit cards. Looks like you made my argument for me, though, rates for personal unsecured loans and credit cards are significantly higher. I mean if you want to pay ~15-29% on your mortgage just to save some money on insurance. I don't think that math works out well for most, but I think you're looking at this from an emotional standpoint. You just want the government to fix your problems instead of doing a bit of homework and choosing another insurance carrier.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks the government should step in and “fix” the problem when prices are too high is not a student of history.

Better watch out. That's a really unpopular opinion around here. A lot of these pro-freedom, .gov sucks people want the gov't to control prices. But only in emergencies, you see...

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_5069.jpeg

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call me what you want, but if the playing field isn't level then something needs to be done.
That's about as left leaning statement as you could make imo.

ACA has basically destroyed healthcare insurance, at least for for the self/small employer. About 9-10 years ago I paid about 900 per month for cobra when I left a smallish company. $150 deductible and I think co-pays were something like $25. Now, my Obama care is $2200 a month and is basically unusable if I don't get cancer.

You pitching healthcare self pay is silly. Have a major event and the cost will dwarf a mortgage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom