Tactical Pen. Valuable addition or unnecessary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_M

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm brand new to the board and didn't see a lot of previous posts on tactical pens (my apologies if I missed them). I was just curious about some other perspectives.

When I first heard about tactical pens, it seemed like an interesting, non-lethal accessory. I shopped a lot of them and weeded out the ones that looked "too tactical" or read "Smith & Wesson" because it defeated the purpose in my mind to have a subtle, multi-purpose tool. I really liked the CRKT pen because it looks like a real pen but was still sleek and had a flat end for a better grip.

However, after further thought, I've pretty much talked myself out of the purchase using the following reasoning:
- For life threatening situations, a pen isn't a great solution. That's what firearms are for.
- For non-life threatening situations, I worry that the pen is too dangerous. Perhaps bringing it into an altercation escalates it into exactly what you're hoping to avoid.
- I would be very concerned about the legal ramifications of using that instrument. These pens are marketed as "tactical" instruments. Lawyers will definitely use that against you.

My personal "non-lethal" strategy is far more inline with "de-escalate and evade" which is why I typically prefer a flashlight and pepper spray. Light in the eyes, evade, pepper spray, evade, strike with the flashlight if necessary.

So, I guess what I'm asking for is just other perspectives. If you carry a tactical pen, how do you see the benefits or which situations do you see yourself reacting with such? Or if your anti-tactical pen, what is your preferred "non-lethal" protection strategy?

Thank you in advance!

michaeld

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get one, definitely think of it as a last resort weapon (and learn how to use it)

I personally think they are gimmicky

Fox pepper spray (or others) for non-lethal would be my choice

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May be of value in "Sterile" areas- where no blades, OC, Kubotans, etc., are allowed. Airports, planes, California.
Think they fall under the "Any weapon beats no weapon" category.
Some have glass breaker points on the opposite ends and if they accept good quality refills, make for a decent and durable pen that may be of value to LE .

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May be of value in "Sterile" areas- where no blades, OC, Kubotans, etc., are allowed. Airports, planes, California.
Think they fall under the "Any weapon beats no weapon" category.
Some have glass breaker points on the opposite ends and if they accept good quality refills, make for a decent and durable pen that may be of value to LE .

That's exactly where I use mine. It also has a glass breaker and takes Fisher Space Pen refills.

David_M

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard of some people that fly with a tactical pen but I've also heard of confiscations so I would be nervous about bringing an expensive pen along with me to an airport.

I've seen some with a glass breaker as well. Those do look pretty cool. It would be fun just to test it out. ;)

And California. Haha Nice one.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they are more of a gimmick than anything else. Not much more effective than throwing your car keys in a bad guys face then stompin' the devil out of him with any and all available objects often found close at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got one free with a pocket knife once, it wrote ok, it felt nice and weighted in your hands. I stopped carrying it everyday because it didn't write as well as the bank pens I collect and because I had a customer ask if it was a weapon. I didn't want people to misconstrue what it was at work, I'm not worried though because if I need something at work I always have a screw driver or two in a pocket I think they will puncture an attacker better.

Scott14k

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question, I'm glad you posted this. I've been evaluating my EDC and whether a tactical pen added enough value to warrant taking up space. I've thought that they can be viewed as a "tool", such as a glass breaker but viewing them as a defense tool seems a stretch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom