Taurus Judge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was at academy with my dad yesterday and he kept oggling the Judges. I've never shot one but they do look like fun. He wants one for a night stand gun/range toy.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy has a polymer frame model with low round count as a night stand gun. No issues so far.

My family has purchased a couple of the same (polymer) judges. One gets used much more than the other. The frequently used judge had to be sent back to Taurus to fix the trigger return mechanism. I have read that this part is a bit flimsy for the power of this revolver. They were pretty quick with the warranty repair. So far so good since it came back.

jerbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one about three years ago for home defense and snakes, now i carry it in my truck. At close range, i just point and shoot, very effective for that kind of use.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any test results for the new .410 self defense ammo?

Personally I don't like the Judge because if I should have to shoot someone (God forbid), it is not my intent that they survive the experience. 410 wouldn't be in my top 10 choices of round, and .45 Colt is kind of pricy.

This gun reminds me of my last visit to the doctor. She said "you are overweight." I said "I want a second opinion." She said "Well, you're ugly too."

I see it as a "fad gun" and suggest, if one's intent for its use involves actual self defense, that a well established conventional weapon be your choice.

As to "point and shoot," better do some patterning at social distances. Shotguns have much tighter patterns than most folks realize.

Not trying to be the "Grinch" here. The Judge in its various (repugnant) forms is fun to shoot. It just isn't the best choice of self defense weapon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any test results for the new .410 self defense ammo?

Personally I don't like the Judge because if I should have to shoot someone (God forbid), it is not my intent that they survive the experience. 410 wouldn't be in my top 10 choices of round, and .45 Colt is kind of pricy.

This gun reminds me of my last visit to the doctor. She said "you are overweight." I said "I want a second opinion." She said "Well, you're ugly too."

I see it as a "fad gun" and suggest, if one's intent for its use involves actual self defense, that a well established conventional weapon be your choice.

As to "point and shoot," better do some patterning at social distances. Shotguns have much tighter patterns than most folks realize.

Not trying to be the "Grinch" here. The Judge in its various (repugnant) forms is fun to shoot. It just isn't the best choice of self defense weapon.

It's not a fad gun.....anymore. S&W is even building a variety.
I bought the SS 3X3 several years ago, and put together a review complete with pics on this site.
Early ammo was anemic to say the least. It was designed for a longer shotgun barrel.
Current SD ammo is designed for short barrels. Some of the projectiles in the area of 1200fps.
Shot rounds are still relegated to small game only unless one sticks it in their face.
Reason is, the small amount of rifling in the end of the barrel causes too much spin and blows the pattern at even close ranges. An 18" pattern at 10' is normal.

The new slug, slug/buck combo, or heavy buck rounds are designed to pattern closely at "social ranges" by wad design.
I have one in the night stand with 4, 00 buck rounds in the first cylinder, a Hornady Leverevolution
.45LC in the second, alternating each.
I have tested every available SD round currently out there, and I'm confident in its ability to stop a fight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom