Taurus PT99AF Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, first let me state that I know there are better made handguns out there. In fact I own several, Glock, Kimber, Smith & Wessson, etc., but I have to say that I am pretty impressed with this Taurus. I picked it up in a trade recently and have fired about 150ish rounds out of it so far. I know that a lot of people bash Taurus and, to be honest, I was one of them until I picked this one up. I never liked their revolvers, and the effort they have made to bring out a new, seemingly ill-designed semi-auto a month hasn't won me over either.
In case you didn't know, the PT99Af is basically a clone of the Beretta 92 with adjustable sights. Mine lacks the newer rail, but has the three position safety/decocker. After military use of the Beretta, I came away less than impressed with the design in general. Particularly the slide mounted safety. The Taurus safety is frame mounted. Plus. The Taurus can be carried cocked and locked, a 'la the 1911/BHP. Plus. The gun is heavy enough to have almost no muzzle flip, even with +p. Plus. The accuracy is on the verge of stellar. BIG Plus.
Are there things I don't care for? Sure. Not a fan of the proprietary mags. C'mon, if you're gonna copy the Beretta design, might as well use the same magazines. I hear they can be modified to work though. Fixed front sight; I'd prefer dovetailed or at least replaceable. All the graffiti on the slide, eh, not a fan. And..........well, that's really all I can think of at this time. I did what I normally do and replaced the grips, this time with Hogue rubber, and now it fits just right.
I know that "haters gonna hate," but if you come across one of the older ones like I did, and it meets your needs, I would say to check it out. I'd be particularly interested in experiences any other owners have had with the Taurus 92/99 series, and maybe where you found decent priced extra mags.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not the 92/99 but i did have a 1911ss that was really nice and a lot less than a kimber
have 2 snubby revo.s ,,no problems
had a pt140 that did really well, other than the mags were like $40 dollars
(now were both in trouble,you for liking taurus, and me for comparing taurus with a kimber(especially watch out for 2forflinching, he has a tatoo that says tauriisuxx) )

.overall for the price and what they are ,there are some that are worth having

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 99 series that Taurus makes is made on Beretta machinery that Brazil purchased. I had one of their earlier models back in 1986, and was an excellent pistol, I probably would still have it, if not for the price a friend asked to pay for her. As far as folks bashing both, I figure they just don't know enough about either's design.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard that they used Beretta equipment and such during early production. I wish they would have stuck with the same mag release as Beretta, but it is what it is. I suppose I will just have to shoot it a couple hundred more times to really get a feel for it and see if it is going to be a permanent addition. At this point it is off to a good start for that.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've put thousands of rounds through my PT99, and it still goes bang everytime. Ran it for years in Production IPSC competitions. Now handed down to my son for the same purpose.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Taurus's i have....got three, 1911, 809, tcp738, never had any problems with any of'm... looking to pick up a 92.

Big John D

New to the site!
Reaction score
Ok, first let me state that I know there are better made handguns out there. In fact I own several, Glock, Kimber, Smith & Wessson, etc., but I have to say that I am pretty impressed with this Taurus. I picked it up in a trade recently and have fired about 150ish rounds out of it so far. I know that a lot of people bash Taurus and, to be honest, I was one of them until I picked this one up. I never liked their revolvers, and the effort they have made to bring out a new, seemingly ill-designed semi-auto a month hasn't won me over either.
In case you didn't know, the PT99Af is basically a clone of the Beretta 92 with adjustable sights. Mine lacks the newer rail, but has the three position safety/decocker. After military use of the Beretta, I came away less than impressed with the design in general. Particularly the slide mounted safety. The Taurus safety is frame mounted. Plus. The Taurus can be carried cocked and locked, a 'la the 1911/BHP. Plus. The gun is heavy enough to have almost no muzzle flip, even with +p. Plus. The accuracy is on the verge of stellar. BIG Plus.
Are there things I don't care for? Sure. Not a fan of the proprietary mags. C'mon, if you're gonna copy the Beretta design, might as well use the same magazines. I hear they can be modified to work though. Fixed front sight; I'd prefer dovetailed or at least replaceable. All the graffiti on the slide, eh, not a fan. And..........well, that's really all I can think of at this time. I did what I normally do and replaced the grips, this time with Hogue rubber, and now it fits just right.
I know that "haters gonna hate," but if you come across one of the older ones like I did, and it meets your needs, I would say to check it out. I'd be particularly interested in experiences any other owners have had with the Taurus 92/99 series, and maybe where you found decent priced extra mags.
I also have a Taurus PT99AF. Purchased it new in 1990. Got me interested in purchasing other pistols form Taurus. Enjoy shooting it at the range till this day. A little too large to conceal carry IWB but enjoy carrying it OWB when possible. It performs flawlessly when using proper care and maintenance. I feel Taurus has taken a bad rap for a long time. They have improved their firearms through the years and should be given another chance.

Respectfully,
Big John D

Latest posts

Top Bottom