Tell me honestly about your T/C Encore experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a factory stock Encore with factory wood stocks. I shoot a .300 Win Mag and a .50 cal black powder. Both have done fine in the accuracy department. My last bench sighting session with the .300 WinMag produced a 3/4" group at 100 yards with two rounds touching using Federal 150 grain factory rounds.

Reaction score
A 16.5" 6.5x284 Bullberry that I have shot 1" 3 shot 200 yard groups

Wow, that's incredible!

Don't get me wrong here - I'm just looking for hunting accuracy, not competition accuracy, but quite a few people (a minority of folks, but quite a few nevertheless) say that Encore accuracy is usually dogcrap, not suitable for plinking, let alone hunting, let alone for the price of these rifles. 2 MOA *IS* suitable for me (not ideal, but suitable), and obviously I'm just about to find out how my gun shoots, but I wanted to get a feel for how much of an outside chance that I'll be getting (ya know, mini-14 accuracy) 5-8 MOA with or without possible stringing, as some claim, from the factory barrels, in order to brace myself for possible extreme disappointment.

Well, I should say that 2 MOA is acceptable to me for my .50x209 bbl, but I won't be happy with anything less than around 1.25 MOA consistently (or better) from the .280 bbl. The .50 I got in trade, and I can sell it off if it's not to my liking, as I have other MLs that I know shoot (and I don't shoot MLs at long range anyway). But I really have high hopes for the .280 bbl as an all-purpose hunter, including a long range hunter (out to 400 yards), so I really want 1 MOA consistently or better, after I workup my handloads. But no amount of handload tuning or premium ammo can overcome stringing or crap accuracy.

But thanks for all the replies - the vast majority of anecdotal evidence is in favor of quite good accuracy out of the box (Hawkeye60 is the only one on this thread so far who experienced crap accuracy). It's obviously hit or miss, but wanted to try to guage the chances of a hit or miss.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a contender carbine in 223.
It shoots real well.
I bought back in the late 70's or early 80's.
Before it I didn't realize there was that much difference between 223 and 556.

Latest posts

Top Bottom