Texas boy mows lawns in honor of Moore tornado victims, raises $16K

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.wafb.com/story/23100158/texas-boy-mows-lawns-raises-16k-for-moore-ok

Texas boy mows lawns, raises $16K for Moore, OK
Posted: Aug 10, 2013 12:18 PM CDT Updated: Aug 10, 2013 12:25 PM CDT

Dyllon Orthman, 11, has mowed lawns and earned thousands of dollars. (Source: KVII/CNN) Dyllon Orthman, 11, has mowed lawns and earned thousands of dollars. (Source: KVII/CNN)

DALHART, TEXAS (KVII/CNN) - A boy in Texas spent his summer vacation mowing yards for extra cash, and earned thousands of dollars.

But 11-year-old Dyllon Orthman wasn't doing it to make money for himself.

Instead, he was raising money for the victims of the Moore, OK tornado.

He said he mowed nearly 90 lawns in two months, and has raised about $16,000.

"A lot of people are saying my mom is making me, but I actually decided to mow for Moore, Oklahoma," Dyllon said.

He said the heat couldn't stop his work.

"I worked in 104 degrees. That didn't stop me," said Dyllon. "I'm still going on my feet. My dad always says, 'You're going to work it to the bone, Dyllon.'"

Two dozen people died, and dozens more were hurt in May, when a violent tornado ripped through Moore, just south of Oklahoma City.

The National Weather Service classified the storm as an EF5, with winds reaching up to 210 mph.

That's a hell of a kid!

jchip123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His parents have to be really proud to have raised a son like him.

I hope we don't read next year that the IRS is going after him for not paying taxes.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome! Maybe there's hope for the next generation after all

Also, that's an average of almost $200 a lawn. Holy cow! I'm assuming he was telling people about his plan when asking for work, in which case I think the customers deserve honorable mention as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom