The increased cost of vehicle maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
got a quote a few weeks ago for struts, brake pads, and lower control arm bushings they wanted almost 6000.00 i looked the parts up and bought them myself for about 500.00 I just went to the shop to get an alignment and they said they couldn't do until i got that stuff fixed they also tried telling me my tires were about gone too and i had just driven 12 miles from the tire store where i had 4 new tires put on so i wasn't really buying they were selling. the only thing i really needed was the bushings but i figured i would go ahead and do the brakes and struts since my car has 240,000 miles on the factory struts.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to NAPA this morning. Upper&lower radiator hoses, serpentine belt and ac belt, thermostat and jug of flush and 2 gal 50/50 pink antifreeze was a total of $197.40 out the door.
I had suspension estimate this morning. Needs upper control arm assembly and 2 ball joints. I am putting new struts and rear air shocks on also and being done at my favorite tire shop. Not sure of cost until all the parts get gathered and no surprises so far and they appreciate customer loyalty.

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to have cooling system serviced on my GMC Sierra. Radiator flush, thermostat, upper & lower hoses and heater hoses.
A reputable shop that has a good track record of customer satisfaction.
Their cost quote. $1997.50
Uhhh nope. I can do the work myself
I have new shocks, struts, brake pads and alignment scheduled at my tire dealer Monday.
Any guesses on how much that might be?
I figured on at least $1000 and have more set aside.
It’s like 2k to replace the front and rear pads and rotors on my BMW at the dealer and even more at an Indy shop. At that quoted rate, you’d be better off taking into a GM dealer. My radiator replacement didn’t even cost 2k at the Ford dealer.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lot of places won't install parts not bought from them. Hibdon wouldn't install Toyota tie rod ends on a land cruiser, due to 'liability' reasons. Uh huh.
Most shops I know will install them, they just won't provide any warranty. That seems fair to me. Of course most shops I deal with are not corporate chain stores either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom