The MIGHTY PEN CO .30-06/.308 Combo Pen Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Among the many different things I collect, the pens I feel so compelled to hoard are perhaps the most useful on a daily basis. Every day I have to whip out my Embassy Pen to sign a receipt, document, or autograph (I kid, I kid). So given my love of pens, you can imagine how excited I was to try one of the homegrown bullet pens built by HMFIC, owner of The MIGHTY PEN Company, sold both online and in person at Franson Firearms. He graciously supplied me with two pens to review, both of them the .30-06/.308 Combo—one brass pen with copper accents, the other a nickel pen with gunmetal accents. I've always believed that gear reviews must be as impartial as humanly possible, and while the manufacturer supplied me with the pens for the purpose of this review, they will get no special treatment from me. But luckily for The Mighty Pen Company, I don't have any hard news to break.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_331a10d9.jpg

These pens are well worth the money. I've been writing, playing, fiddling, and accidentally dropping them non-stop since I got them, and both pens write, function, feel, and look as good as new.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_cbd049df.jpg

Since there are two different versions of the same pen I'll review the two pens as a whole and then share my thoughts on the two different versions. Both pens have a price of $19.95 online.

The pens came in identical packaging: long, thick baggies. Both pens came out polished and clean, and they both included a black Cross style refill (they're both medium refills, I believe). The models I received were the .30-06/.308 Combo. The top portion is an upwards facing .308 which backs up to the lower casing, a downwards facing .30-06. There are no external marks or logo, which I think is a shame. I'd love to see a Mighty Pen Co. logo, even if just initials. And it would, in full military fashion, have to be stamped into the casing.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_e35366ff.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_a5e99bf2.jpg

Extending the writing portion of the pen is achieved by twisting the top section clockwise. It takes three-quarters of a turn both ways, and because the turning action is so smooth it can easily be done one handed. In the hand both pens feel great. Because of the unconventional shape of a pen made with shell casings, I was a bit worried that writing with it might introduce extra strain, but I've found this to not be an issue at all. They sit naturally in my grip and are easy to write with. When writing there is a slight give with the refill, but it's only noticeable if you're looking for it and happens with every twist-action ballpoint I've ever used.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_eb383642.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_7fa1f76b.jpg

The weight of both of the pens is similar (they're within a gram of each other), and for me they're both on the light side of perfect. I am partial to heavy pens (as evidenced by the solid copper monstrosity that is my EDC pen), but the rational part of me takes over when I pick up a pen in the 30-70 grams. It's the Goldilocks range.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_9cbd9514.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_49c4619f.jpg

Construction on both pens is solid, with no give or looseness in any of the movable parts. The pens' clips are sturdy. If there's one thing in this world I hate, it's wimpy little pen clips that bend and break at the drop of a hat. No problem with that on these pens. Changing out the refill is easy, just pull the two casings apart and unscrew the refill. Fit and finish are excellent, and tolerances are as tight as a new Kimber.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_496233b4.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_5630f7e8.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_810b330a.jpg

Last edited:

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The brass model is polished, and has no blemishes. Its trim is copper, and is more highly polished than the body. The entire brass model is triple lacquered. One thing you have to worry about with brass and (especially) copper is tarnishing. The lacquer on the brass model makes this a non-issue. Hand smudges are inevitable, but they're hard to see and easy to wipe off. This model weighs 37 grams (1.31 oz.).

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_6f17a1b8.jpg

The copper trim is excellent.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_55af4a6e.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_d21c3dd6.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_297f039c.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_bc13253c.jpg

The nickel model is more, dare I say, tactical looking. The finish lacks the lacquer, and thus lacks the sheen of the brass model. And the gun metal trim has that smokey grey look—reminiscent of polished hematite—that I absolutely love. The surface is a bit grippier than the brass pen's, but the action is just as smooth. The nickel model weighs 38 grams (1.34 oz.).

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_e345e603.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_66fc64c8.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_8aa3f0d1.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_a749014d.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_ad4e533e.jpg

Both pens have proven durable and resilient to beatings. The nickel pen spent five minutes being thrown around the kitchen floor by our cat Tod before I realized what it was that he was playing with, and in the course of taking pictures I had two incidents with my butterfingers losing grip on the brass pen, sending it into the soulless void that is the underside of our deck. Neither pen has any blemishes following the incidents.

The Cross refills the pens use are ubiquitous and available everywhere. They come in three colors: black, blue, and red. Black and blue both come in fine, medium, and broad. Red only comes in medium. Fisher also makes a Space Pen refill that will fit Cross style pens, but I haven't tried them.

Last edited:

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are the pens next to some others. On the left is the copper Embassy Pen, and next to it is a dime-a-dozen Cross Classic Century.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_fd8a5bb2.jpg

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_Lights_3b0c8e1d.jpg

As you can see, they're not prohibitively long.

Overall I love these pens. One thing I was worried about was if they'd look like bullets in the "oh, look at me!" sense, but most people won't notice unless they take a second look. The pens are handsome, well crafted, and durable. Plus, you know, it's pretty badass to use a couple of fired shells to write with.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1000 bought myself one and liked it so much just had to get a few more for some friends. Might have to get one of them nickel ones. Love these pens.

BDSolutionsArdmore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the product that HMFIC puts out being of great quality, and +Seventy-seven Million on his customer service!! There is one of his pens in my multicam top right now that has been all over RC East Afghanistan, and let me tell you it has stood up to everything that I have thrown and had thrown at it. Granted it's not shiny (I got the non-lacquered version on purpose) anymore, but that is what I wanted for a field pen.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems pretty strong haven't broken yet . Pen looks a little rough but I'm rough on pens.

:) LOL. I hope you CAN'T break it!

Sent you a PM. Whatever the roughness is, I'll take care of it, no problem.

I also have some good polishing cloths that are able to smooth the lacquer back down if it gets beat up.

Thanks very much for everyone's nice things to say. I do strive for perfection in my pens and I stand behind them if there is ever a problem.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the product that HMFIC puts out being of great quality, and +Seventy-seven Million on his customer service!! There is one of his pens in my multicam top right now that has been all over RC East Afghanistan, and let me tell you it has stood up to everything that I have thrown and had thrown at it. Granted it's not shiny (I got the non-lacquered version on purpose) anymore, but that is what I wanted for a field pen.

Thank you!

... and this is just way too cool for words. Brian you've GOT to get me some pics of your MIGHTY PEN making the rounds in Afghanistan!

BTW, I have some bigger .30 cal bullets now to make you a .300 WinMag Keyring with to match the .300 WinMag mighty pen I sent you over there. Do you prefer Nickel to match the pen or Brass?

Latest posts

Top Bottom