The new "Tactical Ted" Ted Williams shotgun project (Winchester 1200)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While meeting one of our OSA member's on another matter, i inquired if he still had a shotgun that i dont see listed anymore -and he affirmed that he still had it - I dont really need another pump gun , and im downsizing my collection, but since when does "need" ever play a factor

I hesitate to use the term "Home Defense" so will just use the term "camp gun" -- but i wanted to build up a couple of 18.5 - 20" barreled shotguns for my saferoom and another i wouldnt be afraid to take on a boat at the lake --- got into a nest of Moccasins last year at Wister lake and evidently they were in attack mode and i had to repel boarders with a paddle --- i figure it would be better to deal with them from a few feet away rather than 2 feet away

Anyway - the condition of this one is excellent and although with the wood that is on it , it is obviously a budget model from that time period, it still has the classic Winchester jeweled bolt and the action is slicker than anything else i have in inventory (including another, newer 1300 series Winchester)

I saw the "Sears Roebuck & Co." inscription on the barrel and thought to myself - its almost going to be a shame to cut this barrel down - but then came to my senses

I'll update the thread as i get some progress going on my budget camp gun project

1UPWeNWl.jpg

mEgGPlml.jpg

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Done - for now

Will have to pattern it to see how she shoots at living room distance on out to 25 yards or so - then I’ll make the final decision on whether to bob the stock to a shorter LOP or not
Stuck with the factory wood but added some grip tape as the un-checkered wood felt a bit slippery

The barrel bob was surprisingly easy but required a lot of file work to make it square and I merely topped it off with a universal fiber optic sight for starters - it’s 19.5” as I wanted to leave a little wiggle room in case I completely pooched the cut

Could not source a mag extender locally , but - it’s 4+1 as it sits and I don’t foresee myself breaching doors with the local swat team or anything , so I I think 5 rounds of 12 gauge with a handful nearby on the butt would solve a lot of perceived problems

Anything too much more exotic than this would take away from the spirit of the project, which was to turn an old bird gun into something handier and more functional for my needs for about the same price as a Maverick 88 or base model 870 Express

But was a fun way to spend a little bit of my Saturday. and I’ll keep updating the thread as improvements are made

IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1993.jpeg
IMG_1994.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom