Thin cold-weather gloves...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read through some of the threads before, but didn't see a lot of info about cold-weather performance. I know it's hard to get good, THIN gloves that also are great for keeping warm. But I want something that is the best compromise I can get. I need to be able to operate touch-screens on my radio and phone and still have some dexterity and have some decent warmth.

I've looked at the Under Armour ones online and see lots of mixed reviews. Been looking online at Amazon, mainly. Same with about all the brands for "runner's gloves", which is essentially the niche I think my needs fit into.

Any suggestions? The Mechanix gloves I don't find to be great, personally. They would work fine for shooting and such, but I'd like slightly more dexterity and they aren't warm at all, IMO.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bike gloves may be another search term. I have some diving gloves that work pretty well. You can get them in different thicknesses from around 1.0mm to 5.0mm. They will make your hands sweat though. The brand I have are Cressi and I paid around $20.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm partial to regular old GI flight gloves, if it's really cold I add thin polypro glove liners....the concept of layering works with hands just as it does the rest of our body lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The gloves I buy at wallyworld really work great. They have the exposed fingers, with a mitten top that covers the fingers. The mitten top easily flips back to get your trigger finger exposed, or to use a cell phone. I use them in the mountains elk hunting at -25F. They aren't bulky, and if I remember right they have thinsulate for insulation.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
L
I read through some of the threads before, but didn't see a lot of info about cold-weather performance. I know it's hard to get good, THIN gloves that also are great for keeping warm. But I want something that is the best compromise I can get. I need to be able to operate touch-screens on my radio and phone and still have some dexterity and have some decent warmth.

I've looked at the Under Armour ones online and see lots of mixed reviews. Been looking online at Amazon, mainly. Same with about all the brands for "runner's gloves", which is essentially the niche I think my needs fit into.

Any suggestions? The Mechanix gloves I don't find to be great, personally. They would work fine for shooting and such, but I'd like slightly more dexterity and they aren't warm at all, IMO.

I just bought the Under Armour Cold Gear liner gloves, $24.99. Bought them to ref a playoff game on Monday. They worked very well. Very thin, comfy, and warm. I do not know if they will work an iPhone while on, but they are like a second layer of skin. Believe the temps were in the 30s in Enid on Monday.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some Columbia liner gloves that are touch screen compatible, and are very tight fitting. They are about as warm as you can expect such thin gloves to be. Nothing like good insulated gloves, but they cut the wind and let you keep some body heat. They're not waterproof or anything either. They've been fine for going out on the town through all the weather we've had so far.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The gloves I buy at wallyworld really work great. They have the exposed fingers, with a mitten top that covers the fingers. The mitten top easily flips back to get your trigger finger exposed, or to use a cell phone. I use them in the mountains elk hunting at -25F. They aren't bulky, and if I remember right they have thinsulate for insulation.

This^^^^^
Single finger gloves will never keep your hands warm, its about blood flow to your fingers, keep them together.... ;)

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For good thin gloves look at merino. I have the Sitka and Kuiu versions they're really durable and fairly warm. I cut the tip off the trigger finger on nearly all my gloves (I like to feel the trigger and it makes using touch screens easier) neither version work for electronics though unless you cut the finger. I wear the ragwool glo-mitt like Dennis mentioned as well and really like them except hay sticks to them like a mother gawker. I tried a pair of thinner north face gloves that where touch screen compatible but they had this bump on the finger and thumb tip that made doing thing (tightening bolts etc) a pain in the arse. I wear a leather glove over those thin merino gloves when it gets really cold most of the time with the exception of super cold weather (below zero) I found some Swedish mil surp gloves that are a mitten with the trigger finger being separate and thinner. Makes working with your hands or shooting a lot nicer when it's cold. Good luck in your quest.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom