Thinkin' about a crossbow, know nothing about them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say it because an older crossbow my friend had would tear up strings.
It was happening in the part of the bow that holds the string after you cock it.
There is a bunch of pressure in that small area that holds the string and some older bows would chafe the string each time it fired.
I have no idea how the newer bows hold and release the string.
This is the wear area on the old ones that i have seen and about 40 shots(if you are lucky) and you needed to replace my buddies string.

I have had to replaced my recurve string 3 times in 33 years.. and had 1 compound string break .. and my limb broke on it also.. that was an older PSE and it shot over 300 FPS at 76lb draw not much let off something like 20%
My Hoyt compound has been good (knock on wood) for many years.
It is not near as fast as the larger PSE.
That PSE shot funny.. i used the same pin from 10-36 yards after 36 yards it would drop 2 inches like it took a step off the porch,, not a rainbow ,,you could watch it happen weirdest thing i ever seen when shooting a bow.

When i shot it people would say holly crap! how fast is that thing..I really never knew .. but i did know one guy stated his ran 305fps through his crony and he said mine looks way faster no crony around, then one day i pulled it back and it all busted on me... I still have the busted sucker. It had been modded on by the guy i got it from.
Probably asking too much from it for too long.. Wish my Hoyt was a bit faster or flatter shooting.

Then i think maybe i need a crossbow. I am a tight wad though.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the same string for five years. Had new center serving put on a couple years ago. Its still looking good.

Its a cheaper pse viper rattler, its been a good one

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to some crossbow forums, Horton sold out to another manufacturer, who chose not to buy the spare parts.

This manufacturer is supposed to re-introduce the Horton sometime next year and will only have the parts for the redesigned models.

Just something to be aware of if you are looking at a used Horton.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up buying a Barnett Recruit from WalMart. It had a cocking rope, arrows, and red/green dot sight included. There is definitely a learning curve with them, cocking is for the birds. I can load a cap and ball pistol faster! :) Hopefully, I'll gradually become more proficient. Anyway, after mounting the sight and expecting to hit somewhere in the next county with the first shot, turned out it was hitting about an inch to the left, and dead on vertically. 'Course that's only 10 yards. Overall, I'm happy with the bow, it sinks the arrows to the fletching in my target, and they're VERY hard to pull out, even with field tips.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The most important things are to
1. keep the string and rails waxed.
2. mark the center of your string so you can see your cocking straight.
3. with rope or crank cocker make sure your hooks are close as
possible to sides of the bow and pull straight back evenly.

if the string comes back unevenly your mark will be to one side and you will shoot way to one side.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know much about crossbows other than, keep your freakin thumb down if you don't want it taken off!

Friend of mine went to urgent care to get his thumb stitched up. Doctor said they had already had three other people in for thumbs that were not kept down. Some of them thumbs were also broken.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Friend of mine went to urgent care to get his thumb stitched up. Doctor said they had already had three other people in for thumbs that were not kept down. Some of them thumbs were also broken.

I've seen this first hand a couple of times, pretty nasty wounds..............both deer were harvest though:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom