thinking about a job change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgiven72

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't think you're nuts at all. long periods of being on call can be more challenging than a low pay. I have a standard 8-5 job, make great money and enjoy what I do for the most part, but any job can wear on you.

I've heard people say "Do what you love and the money will follow" - the actual original saying was "Do what you love and the money won't matter" - I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

While I enjoy having predictable working hours and a known project to work on, or problem to solve (I'm a computer programmer, BTW) - at the end of the day, I've spend 8 hours chunking 1's and 0's into a computer system. While I know that is creation - of a type - I have many hobbies that are much more personally rewarding that my job. I've done everything from grow a garden to build a CNC machine, to make furniture. I got into reloading, amateur gunsmithing, long distance shooting. And I've been a pilot since forever - my first love, first hobby and the one obsession that would trump all others, should I be forced to pick.

What sucks is none of those things, if converted to a job, make anywhere NEAR the money I make right now and my family is accustomed to a certain lifestyle. It's a frustrating place to be.

Thanks Aviator, validation feels great. Sorry I hijacked the thread errbody.
I'm in the same boat, lots of other intrests but it feels wrong to make the family take a huge pay cut to try somthing easier on me. I guess this is adulthood and Im lucky to have a job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom