Thinking about getting into reloading...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you can start on a progressive if you wish but you should use it as a single stage at first. Definitely get a couple of books and read them thoroughly, watch videos, they are all over the Internet and youtube is a good place to start, if possible go and look at different types of presses and ask questions about how they operate. Lots of guys on here will let you come over and watch while they demonstrate. Educate yourself first and then you will have intelligent questions to ask.
rcbs or redding is probably considered the best equipment and you will save money by buying a complete reloading kit from the same manufacturer.
I had a rcbs single stage, then A Lyman T MAG II and sold it so that I could get a lee classic cast turret press, it is a good design and functions as a semi - progressive. Wish I had got it to start off with.
If you can read and follow directions, pay attention what you're doing and can put aside some time where you won't be bothered by the television, screaming children or falling meteorites then you can reload successfully. You won't save any money but you will definitely shoot a lot more for the same money.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get an RCBS rock chucker supreme kit and don't look back. Sure, you may upgrade to a dillon or other progressive later, but you'll always have a use for and a special fondness for the single stage you cut your teeth on.

And ditch the speer manual it comes with and get the Lyman book. Soak in the knowledge by actually reading it.

+1000 on this. I started out with a single stage, and went to a progressive. On occasion the single stage is still used for small runs to test a load.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A turret press is what you want to start with. It is as simple as a single stage press, and will do about any brass you put in it. As to "too short a throw," I reload .375 H&H on my Lyman T-mags. Redding may be the best turret press, and appears to be the most expensive. Lee has a good one for less money, and the Lyman is mid priced. I think Dillon is also making one.

Extra tyrrerts allow you to change calibers almost instantly without any readjustment of dies once they are initially adjusted. I load somewhere over ten calibers for myself and friends on my Lymans, and have enough extra turrets that I seldom have to do any adjusting.

The only reason to eventually go to a progressive press is for ammo that you use a lot of. CB

ActionJaxn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is awesome, getting all this useful info here. What do you all use for cleaning brass?

I'm going to take the advice given and go with either a Dillon 550 or RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit to get started. Looks like a tossup right now.

I can spend the time researching the best prices on the internet, but where have you all found the best prices for kits of this type (Brand New)?

Thanks for all the info everybody.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi ActionJaxn,

I tried many methods of brass cleaning including ultrasonic with tons of different solutions. Bottom line is that I've found nothing faster than a vibratory cleaner with corn cob with a mix of nufinish and mineral spirits. A couple of hours and cases are nice and polished on the outside. You can do other things to get them spotless inside and out, but they all take more time, work and what does having a case clean on the inside really get you?

Between the Rock Chucker and the 550 I would decide based on the caliber. If you want to do rifle calibers then perhaps the Rock Chucker would be a better place to start, but if you are going to load pistol caliber (or even rifle caliber) in any quantity, IMHO single stage is going to get old fast.

Good luck,

Alan

DrJeff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is awesome, getting all this useful info here. What do you all use for cleaning brass?

I absolutely love using my Thumler's Tumbler Ultra Vibe 10. It is a workhorse, durable metal construction for the base, quiet, and made in the USA. I use corncob media with polish additive. Walnut is good but I think you don't get quite the shine on the brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom