This more than a little concerns me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.apextac.com/catalog/item/6540833/6878963.htm

That's a pretty convincing fake if it looks anything like the pic.

Those pesky Chinese-manufacturing facilities are getting pretty good at making stuff that looks just like the real-thing. Not a problem if you're buying it for Airsoft - a big problem if you're buying it expecting it to be the real deal.

I know there are better and better looking Aimpoint clones out there, but the mis-labeled stuff is what scares me - if someone gets screwed on the deal and feels like passing it off to someone else, what's to stop them?

If I saw this mount on an Aimpoint being sold as legit, I'd be more likely to believe it because who would put a $40 fake in a $150 mount?

I dunno - simpler times when you didn't have to worry about this stuff.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The finish is all wrong....but if I didn't have any experience w/ Larue, I'd probably have no idea.

There are some pretty convincing DD Omega copies out there, as well.

Moral of the story is...buy from a reputable outfit.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The finish is all wrong....but if I didn't have any experience w/ Larue, I'd probably have no idea.

There are some pretty convincing DD Omega copies out there, as well.

Moral of the story is...buy from a reputable outfit.

I'm not gonna lie - part of my issue with this is that I just bought an ML3 from ARFCOM with the LT-150 mount (and I got a Dillo) - had I not gotten some literature from LaRue (and the Dillo with the correct packaging), I might not have known the difference.

Having a clone is one thing - I've been reading more and more about the Primary Arms clones and he'd doing it without ripping off the markings of Aimpoint (although, he's dancing all over the line of acceptable flattery vs. flat out copy-catting).

Passing one off as the real thing is where I have an issue - I read pages and pages of those threads on ARFCOM about fake Aimpoints before buying one used - its getting harder and harder to tell the difference.

I actually found that airsoft fake when googling the words "LaRue, weight, LT-150" because LaRue doesn't list how much any of their crap weighs on their site.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the chinese are cloning the aimpoint and eotec redot sights themselves now,all the airsoft company's are selling them,and some gunshow dealers are cleaning and touching them up and selling them as real ones.last time i heald a fake one, you could turn the on/off knob by rotating it and keep rotating it constanly all the way around.real ones you have to turn back oposite way to turn it off IIRC.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the chinese are cloning the aimpoint and eotec redot sights themselves now,all the airsoft company's are selling them,and some gunshow dealers are cleaning and touching them up and selling them as real ones.last time i heald a fake one, you could turn the on/off knob by rotating it and keep rotating it constanly all the way around.real ones you have to turn back oposite way to turn it off IIRC.

Yeah - I think we all know that. BTW, trying to get 20 posts in a day won't get you any closer to selling something - it'll get you banned.

http://okshooters.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1833509

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fake stuff is enough of an issue that I probably won't buy any optics or mounts in that price range from a seller that isn't 100% reliable. I try to avoid ebay, individuals, or random gun show folks on that kind of stuff.

Then again, I only have 1 AR and I'm not terribly accessory crazy, so I'd likely be more inclined to risk the savings if I bought more high end tactical accessories.

It's sad how many scams there are to avoid in the shooting world. :nolike: On the upside, it makes dealing with honest folks that much better once you find them!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fake stuff is enough of an issue that I probably won't buy any optics or mounts in that price range from a seller that isn't 100% reliable. I try to avoid ebay, individuals, or random gun show folks on that kind of stuff.

Then again, I only have 1 AR and I'm not terribly accessory crazy, so I'd likely be more inclined to risk the savings if I bought more high end tactical accessories.

It's sad how many scams there are to avoid in the shooting world. :nolike: On the upside, it makes dealing with honest folks that much better once you find them!

I guess my concern is with places like ARFcom - I realize that a site like that is self-maintained (i.e. you screw someone, your rep gets trashed on there and the Mods do everything they can to make the guilty party cop to it, but still - its a risk).

When there's a savings of $100 or more on a product like an Aimpoint that is basically as good used as it was new (provided it hasn't been abused), its worth it to me, but I still don't like the risk.

Guess that's the price we all pay for being in a used market with mostly good folks out there, but just a few unscrupulous characters around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom