1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Thoughts on revolvers

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by Red Letters Honey Farm, Sep 6, 2020.

1. okierider

okierider Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I was ribbing @Snake , he never said he would use 18 rounds . Just playing into the whole mine is better than yours silliness .

dennishoddy likes this.
  2. RickN

RickN Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have owned revolvers all my life. Never had one jam. I did see a guy get a squib loaded round stuck between the cylinder and barrel. One in a million I think. At least I have never seen it happen again.

3. dlbleak

dlbleak Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The S&W ejector rod ‘can’ unthread slightly causing the cylinder to drag on the frame. I’ve had a couple that I picked up cheap because of it. A turn of the threads and it’s back as new again.

4. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Just remember to get it reasonably tight or it will work loose again, being careful not to strip the threads. Another thing is that the threads are reversed.

dlbleak, RickN and bigred1 like this.
  5. Preacherman

Preacherman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I like revolvers. I think for the same reason I like lever action rifles. I grew up watching westerns w/my dad. :)

6. xseler

xseler These are not the firearms you're looking for.

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Well, this might be the 'best' of both worlds....

[​IMG]

Rossi Circuit Judge in .410/45

dennishoddy likes this.
  7. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have a S&W K-22 Masterpiece in .22 RF with one of the finest triggers I've ever felt on any gun right out of the factory that was given to me after it's original owner died, and I have a lot of aftermarket or reworked triggers in all of my guns.
    Single or double action it would cease to rotate before firing all the rounds. Took it to a Smith that was supposed to know S&W revolvers. He Checked the cylinder to see if it was loaded, seeing it wasn't loaded, closed the cylinder and pulled the trigger 6 times on empty cylinders. Said it was just fine, no problems.
    Are you kidding me? I got it back from him and he had dimpled the rim face of every chamber with the firing pin. You don't dry fire a .22 rimfire Smith. Even I knew that.
    Then it was really a jam-o-matic. I had to remove the ridges around the dimples to make it cycle but it still had the original problem of not cycling on some cylinders without dragging.
    Finally figured out by looking at the cylinder gap on the barrel that it wasn't correct. If I remember right it should be .006 gap. It was .006 on some and as it rotated, the gap closed until it caused the cylinder to drag on the barrel. It was in time though. A buddy had ran into this and he had a tool that could remove a small amount from the barrel by removing the cylinder and putting this cutter on the barrel to remove a couple thousands of an inch. It works perfectly now but it still doesn't maintain .006 all the way around. More like .007 to .001 now. I've had it at a couple eat and shoots.
    This is a pistol built in the 40's. I suspect the machining errors wouldn't happen now with the CNC machinery that is used.