Thoughts on the G2 RIP ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought some of the G2 RIP ammo for shits and giggles, I normally carry 124gr Gold Dot +p ammo in my G26 and 135gr Critical Duty +p in my G17. I am not really to the point of trading either one for the G2RIP ammo at this time but was wondering if others had heard of it and what their thoughts are.

i1029.photobucket.com_albums_y358_cnkforever1_bullet_zps68a448d7.jpg

i1029.photobucket.com_albums_y358_cnkforever1_petal01_zpse102cd4e.jpg

i1029.photobucket.com_albums_y358_cnkforever1_gelcopy72_zpsd5d71b90.jpg

This probably should have been posted in "Factory Ammo" instead of Handguns sorry

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel that it is pure gimmick. They went with a bullet design that looked cool, but at the cost of ballistic effectiveness. I also think that they out and out lied on their barrier penetration tests. The thing you have to take into account is when you shoot someone, you need to get deep inside the body to do the most damage and incapacitate them. To do that, you need to carry the mass of that bullet deep into them, past all the clothing, muscle, fat, etc. etc. But if you look at the picture you posted, half of their mass is gone in the first 5-6 inches. A standard hollowpoint, such as my Federal HST maintain their weight WITH sharp edges/talons in one dynamic bullet.

I think that they limited demand and made a cool design that got people talking. That's a sign of great marketing, not great ballistics, IMHO.

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to agree the video of it going into the cinder block was comical penetration is a serious lack in my opinion and a 96gr bullet is negligible especially for a 9mm. The trocars are around 5gr each so I doubt they will go nearly as far in a body than they do in ballistics gel.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I tend to agree the video of it going into the cinder block was comical penetration is a serious lack in my opinion and a 96gr bullet is negligible especially for a 9mm. The trocars are around 5gr each so I doubt they will go nearly as far in a body than they do in ballistics gel.

Nevertheless, it is an evil looking bullet. Hit a BG in the bladder with one of those snaggle tooths and he'll have four or five urethras leading to a new urinary meatus.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People keep saying they start fragmenting to only about 5-6 inches deep. I'm pretty sure that 5-6 inches deep should reach organs on most people, you don't have to blow someones back out to be effective...just my 2 cents

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People keep saying they start fragmenting to only about 5-6 inches deep. I'm pretty sure that 5-6 inches deep should reach organs on most people, you don't have to blow someones back out to be effective...just my 2 cents

I'm of the same thought, except when it comes to winter clothing or obese folks.
Saw a news report in OKC a couple of years ago where a guy got shot in the gut with a .22 in a drive by. He was laughing about it while the medics were trying to get him into the ambulance. Said he had been shot with a 9mm a year earlier with no effect.
He said his fat was natures bullet proof vest. Probably a 400 lb guy.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a couple of good videos on YouTube by shootingthebull. He tests the rip against federal hst's. The g2 ammo is a novelty plain and simple. And any person that would pay the $40+ dollars for 20 rounds needs their head examined in my books. I will stick with my proven hst's. Also, I was told that the blocks that g2 research use in their videos are not fbi standard blocks. They are made smaller to enhance the damage of the round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom