"Threaded Game-Tracker Devices" for Archery..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
for lack of a better description.

Do you guys know what I mean? Basically it's like bow-fishing your deer...it's a little container with fine but tough thread in it, which screws into your bow where the stabilizer would go, and you tie one end of the thread around your arrow, and shoot, wait, then follow your thread to your game - voila.

Well, I somehow ended up with two of these, via purchasing bulk stuff from estate sales and such, and had never seen or heard of them until I went through the bulk purchases.

Anyhow, they seem to me like a really good idea. Anyone use one or know anyone that does?

Any big drawback? Seems to me that the biggest drawback by far would be the possibility of changing your arrow trajectory and thus give you poor accuracy. But the thread is spooled in there in such a way that it comes with almost no resistance whatsoever, so I dunno. Probably wouldn't want to use it for shots past 15 or 20 yards I suppose.

I guess it wont work if you don't get a pass-through, or at least arrow stuck inside the game.

Thoughts?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you hit the animal properly, it is unnecessary, if you don't, it might help, if it doesn't break.

I would never use one, I didn't think much of them when the were new and I believe there is a good reason you don't see them anymore.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only real issue with them is if you take a longer shot, and the string catches on some brush before the arrow hits the target, it can cause problems.

Like said, usually not necessary anyway.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never personally used them but I have a friend who tried one out a few years back. He could never get his bow to tune consistently with it attached. He said it was fine for anything inside 20 yds but beyond that it would sometimes hit on the money and the next time fall 10 ft short of the target. He scrapped it and never used it in the field.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used them and will use them again.There is a small "L" clip with a loop on both ends,one end goes under the broad head the other lies against the arrow shaft,you loop the string over and around the loop against the arrow shaft.They will cause drag at longer shots,and they can screw up and cause your arrow to miss its target.I've never had one "screw up" I use one because I'm colored blind and cannot see blood,and yes I've shot 4 deer with mine.Recvered all but one,my string ran out,my fault I should have put a new spool in before the hunt.Hope that helped you out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only time I would use one might be on turkey.

I took a guy out one time that was a champion archer on the 3D range, but had never taken game with his bow. He bought one of those, and like some have said it was good out to 20 yds. I called in a tom for him, and he shot it low. We sat there and watched hundreds of yards of line run out, until it was empty. We looked all over that property, and never did see that string.
Maybe we missed it?? Don't know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom