To coat or not to coat a custom rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I need some direction. Just got my custom 700 LA 300 win mag done. Blue printed action, 26" Krieger bull barrel (M40'ish), oversize Tubb lug, tigger, devcon skim bedded in HS Precision stock and a 20 MOA rail also bedded to the action. The barrel is stainless and the stock is black with webbing. My intent was to have this all coated in FDE (scope and rings included) for a truly tactical looking rifle but now I am getting weak! I always think that I will build something and keep it forever and once its done someone else ends up owning it! Will the coating kill the value or should I just nut up and do it? If so, what type and who?

Thank you all for looking and any help directing me!

Last edited:

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that coating would decrease value because not everyone will have YOUR taste BUT it is your rifle and if you want it coated then coat it.
If it was mine. I would at least coat the barrel black to blend better but I'm spoiled haha.
Again. Having all that been said, I think coating it so it blends into the environment but stands out from the crowd is the way to go.
I hope that helps.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that coating would decrease value because not everyone will have YOUR taste BUT it is your rifle and if you want it coated then coat it.
If it was mine. I would at least coat the barrel black to blend better but I'm spoiled haha.
Again. Having all that been said, I think coating it so it blends into the environment but stands out from the crowd is the way to go.
I hope that helps.

I sprayed the barrel today with black alumahyde and it looks so much better all matte black! I think I will rock it like this for a bit but.....I am trying to trade a guy for an FDE McMillan and if I get that done this sucker is gonna be BROWN!

700 custom.jpg

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess that is one beauty of a stainless barrel, you can media blast it back to bare easily and have that fresh done custom gun look in an afternoon! Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom