Tracy Martin: This Country Values Guns More Than Our Children's Lives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been two years since Tracy Martin lost his son Trayvon, who was shot and killed following a confrontation with neighborhood watch volunteer, George Zimmerman, and seven months since Zimmerman was acquitted.

http://newsok.com/tracy-martin-this...more-than-our-childrens-lives/article/3937570

Entire article from Huffington Post:

It has been two years since Tracy Martin lost his son Trayvon, who was shot and killed following a confrontation with neighborhood watch volunteer, George Zimmerman, and seven months since Zimmerman was acquitted. However, Martin has continued his pursuit to fight against controversial self-defense laws that have come into the spotlight since his son's death.

During a recent interview with Al Sharpton on "Politics Nation," Martin discussed how he and Trayvon's mother, Sybrina Fulton, have continued their efforts to affect change by working with Congress and joining forces with others who have also been affected by gun violence like Jordan Davis' and Kendrick Johnson's parents.

Martin also added a strong sentiment about the value of the lives of young black men in this country and how the nation seems to be at odds between its legislation over gun control and gun rights.

"It's sad to say that, I feel as though this country actually values guns more than they do our children's lives," he said.

The anniversary of Trayvon Martin's death comes on the heels of the verdict in the Michael Dunn trial, in which the 47-year-old was found guilty of attempted murder. The jury was unable to reach a decision on the murder charge, resulting in a mistrial. Both cases have raised criticism and fueled discussion of the value of black life in America.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...uns-more-than-childrens-lives-_n_4860769.html

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get these arguments. The prestigious Northwestern University School of Law, using CDC and maybe even FBI statistics, determined that guns are used to save lives over 80 times more than they are to take lives.

I think the latest CDC reports are from 2011 and show (purely my best guess) 14,000 deaths due to firearms. Now, these numbers include both adults and children, but let's just pretend that is 14,000 children under the age of 18. 14,000 lives taken by firearms. If firearms are used to save lives over 80 times more than that, using simple math (14,000 x 80) and ignoring the endless list of variables (would those same 14,000 kids still lose their lives? probably not), that's 1,112,000 lives that could be lost if firearms weren't available for protection.

Hardly a solid argument, but the fact that the lives saved are overwhelmingly greater than lives taken, it's safe to get an idea of what it'd be like in a world without guns.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just how much did Tracy Martin value guns before this incident? Seems pretty obvious to me that he didn't value his child all that highly, till he got killed acting like a thug that is. :(

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, how's the trade ratio work? I mean, would a teenage thug be worth more/less than say, a Glock 22? Or maybe two thugs would be the equivalent of a good K98?
I'm willing to deal.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see the comparison between Trayvon and the other two. Jordon was shot for loud music and Kendrick was bludgeoned to death.
It doesn't really matter how or why they died, the media will make it about guns. Martin is a piece of crap just like his dead son was. Maybe if he would have actually really cared about him he would still be alive. But apparently he didn't love him enough to teach him right from wrong. And the mother sickens me as well. I could go on and on. I am sure they and Jesse Jackson will keep dragging this out as long as they can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom