Traffic Light: Stop on Green Arrow, Go on Red

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NW Highway going Northwest. Six Lanes

Lane 1: Left turn only Traffic Light (Red- Yellow & Green Arrow)
Lane 2: Left turn only No Traffic Light
Lane 3: Going Straight Traffic Light (Red- Yellow & Green Arrow)
Lane 4: Going Straight Traffic Light (Red- Yellow & Green)
Lane 5: Going Straight Traffic Light (Red- Yellow & Green)
Lane 6: Right Turn only Traffic Light (Single Red with Double Yellow & Double Green)

When they installed the traffic lights, they reversed Lane 1 & Lane 2

If you are in lane 3 you Stop on Green Left Arrow and Go on Red

Hooper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I firmly believe ODOT is being ran by morons. Some of the shodiest work ever in Oklahoma road building history is underway, especially bridges and intersections. Instead of building and designing roads with conformity, so a driver can know what to expect at intersections and merging areas, every major project has an unfamiliar design, making it complicated for drivers unfamiliar to the areas they are driving in.

Elk City, Ok. has a Multi Million Dollar bridge over I-40 of European design, It is very confusing. Fortunately it is not a super high traffic area. Weatherford, Ok. has a Multi Million Dollar Bridge crossing I-40 that has way to much incline for the short distance it covers along with a curve in it. Not to mention the 6 lane intersection in the same area that does not line up with the old four lane road, which worked fine. Fortunately we have not had a major road Ice condition to really expose the Weatherford Bridge flaws. Then remember the Billion Dollar Bridge on Kilpatrick that was humped instead of crowned like normal for drainage. That is just a few Billion off the top of my head that I know was wasted, could go on, it is a shame our Good ole boy system is working well.

There should be a uniformity in design, but instead every new Engineer with no Construction Experience gets to try there idea. If it don't work no problem, just put some construction signs up and leave them for 10-15 years till everyone knows the problem. Mean while stretches of road go unmaintained and unrepaired because we are broke.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like someone cut corners to save a few bucks but 1&2 should have the left green arrow and 3,4&5 should have the solid green ball and lane 6 is set up the typical way. All they would have to do is go in and add another head and remove the green arrow on 3 and put it on the new head. Maybe cost around $1k but could be higher now days been a few years since i had one done.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I firmly believe ODOT is being ran by morons. Some of the shodiest work ever in Oklahoma road building history is underway, especially bridges and intersections. Instead of building and designing roads with conformity, so a driver can know what to expect at intersections and merging areas, every major project has an unfamiliar design, making it complicated for drivers unfamiliar to the areas they are driving in.

Elk City, Ok. has a Multi Million Dollar bridge over I-40 of European design, It is very confusing. Fortunately it is not a super high traffic area. Weatherford, Ok. has a Multi Million Dollar Bridge crossing I-40 that has way to much incline for the short distance it covers along with a curve in it. Not to mention the 6 lane intersection in the same area that does not line up with the old four lane road, which worked fine. Fortunately we have not had a major road Ice condition to really expose the Weatherford Bridge flaws. Then remember the Billion Dollar Bridge on Kilpatrick that was humped instead of crowned like normal for drainage. That is just a few Billion off the top of my head that I know was wasted, could go on, it is a shame our Good ole boy system is working well.

There should be a uniformity in design, but instead every new Engineer with no Construction Experience gets to try there idea. If it don't work no problem, just put some construction signs up and leave them for 10-15 years till everyone knows the problem. Mean while stretches of road go unmaintained and unrepaired because we are broke.
I swear that the main on/off at Weatherford couldn't have been designed any worse if they were trying.

I feel like someone must somehow get a commission for every 'wtf' that's muttered in a car there.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traffic lights aren’t ODOT. Those are local.

That doesn’t necessarily negate your statement, though.
If they used state money to install them then the state is the one that engineered them, and to the last of my knowledge the state only (did) have only 2 intersections in the entire state that was ODOT traffic lights all others are either the city or county's but both will use state money to have them installed but then the city or county has to maintain them or pay a company to do it for them the 2 the state has they contract the maintenace out on them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom