Trailer theft deterrent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had to leave a trailer outside the "tongue lock" would be my last choice. Had a friend who lost the keys to his, just backed up to it and short chained it to get it home. Was only a few blocks but once it's out of your yard and in a garage good luck ever finding it. Anything that can be cut with a dremel or torch isn't worth having either.

I think the best idea is a multi-prong approach. Set a two inch solid bar into concrete and weld a ball to the top then attach the trailer to that, make sure to weld a plate on the bottom so it can not pull out of the concrete and is at least three feet in depth. Put wheel locks on the wheels, at least two different styles and then make a solid hasp of at least 1 inch diameter rod that can run through both sets of wheels and be secured on the other end to prevent the trailer from moving, passing this hasp over a leaf spring is an added bonus. Have another bar with a heavy loop welded to it sunk in the ground and an extremely heavy chain wrapped around the axle and the hasp made to go through the wheels. Finally make sure the trailer is loaded with so much undesired junk that it will take a person an hour to unload it and it's too much to even move the trailer with in the first place.

Otherwise remove the axle and wheels, make a detachable tongue and remove it and flip the trailer upside down when not in use. No axle to even mount the wheels on, no tongue to pull with and a pita to even deal with unless your going to load it on to another trailer. Just have to fabricate some stuff so it can be easily put back together when you have the stuff.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pipe in ground with large chain secured to it and axles. Backup over it with about 30 feet of chain coiled up under axle. When they hit the end of it, they get their face planted in steering wheel.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pipe in ground with large chain secured to it and axles. Backup over it with about 30 feet of chain coiled up under axle. When they hit the end of it, they get their face planted in steering wheel.

I like this. ^^^^ Might screw my trailer up some but finding a few bloody teeth on the ground would make me all warm inside.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one of those for my dad's short (10' or 12', I think; I've not put a tape to it) trailer. I think the body is aluminum (it's very light); the hasp is solid enough, and the "dog" that holds it in place when locked seems solid. The key mechanism seems like the weak part of the system--I wouldn't be surprised if a bent screwdriver could defeat it--but it'll be a deterrent to most thieves.

For his 16' utility trailer, he welded 1/4" plate steel to the bulldog coupler and to the coupler's locking collar, so when the coupler is closed and latched he can run a heavy-duty lock through it. It also has an advantage in that he can lock the trailer to the tow vehicle; they might be able to steal a loaded 16' utility trailer, but not many can steal one that's locked to an F350 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab long bed...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In addition to putting a lock on the hitch, I also kneel my construction trailer well below hook-up height and then lock the jack mechanism (my jacks are electric with a key lock). If they can't raise the trailer, they can't hook up.
My dad parks a tandem disk under the neck of his gooseneck trailer. It's a heavy motor scooter, and a pickup can't get enough traction to pull it from where it sits; it has to be lifted out of the way.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont care what u do if a theif wants something bad enough they will get it when they invented the battery operated power tools they became a theives best freind. the only way to keep theives from stealing something is to not own it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I, too, have engraved my DL# in an obscure location to enable my identifying the trailer, just in case.

I do like the 'American Graffiti' 30' chain on the axel, along with a game cam and you get instant YOUTUBE #1 status, along with that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Thieves :uberblast

Latest posts

Top Bottom