Trigger Adjustment for a S&W .38 special

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockChick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Smith and Wesson 442 .38 airweight hammerless which I love...however it is no fun to shoot due in part to the heavy trigger pull. I've asked around for opinions but I've never received a definite answer as to whether or not it can be lightened. Anyone have any insight? It's all appreciated!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Apex kits are top shelf. Wilson Combat and Wolff make spring kits too. Whatever you do after any mod test it thoroughly with your carry ammo. You can't go ridiculously light with the hammerless J frames like all their bigger cousins. I wouldn't lighten the main spring by too much, but you should be able to drop it a little and the rebound spring some more. My 442 is crazy heavy too because I've been lazy and haven't changed them out.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 642 has a trigger job, it's great. I shot a stock one and mine back to back the other day and I would not have one without trigger work done.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The recommendations for the Kuhnhausen book and Miculek video are good. I do generally warn against dropping the spring weight below 9 pounds because you run the risk of light primer strikes (the firing pin just dimples the primer and fails to set the round off). If you do go very light in weight, I also recommend using Federal ammo as their primers tend to be softer. For even more information, you should also check out www.smith-wessonforum.com/forum.

By the way, welcome and I like your breast cancer icon.