Trigger weight on a CC gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After carrying a cocked and locked Browning Hi-Power for duty, I won't carry one that is lighter than 5lbs. I carried one for a while when I worked at the PD. I had a couple of situations where I had to draw it and cover a suspect and I couldn't keep my mind off of how light the trigger pull was and that I was in a high stress situation. I changed to a S&W 645 and carried it for quite a few years before I went to a Glock 21.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In general, one should stay will full strength factory springs for carry purposes IMO. I may do some light smoothing to get rid of grittiness, if its present. For my use, a little overkill in the dependability area is desired.

Even my competition guns, while usually sporting a lighter trigger pull than the same gun used for carry, will have a dependability cushion built in.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the lightest trigger weight you would be comfortable with in a carry gun?

What if the carry gun doesn't have a safety...Glock, M&P, etc. does this affect what you are comfortable with?

Considering the APEX kit for my M&P and want the competition one that cuts trigger weight to less than 3 lbs because I use this gun to shoot recreationally in competition but also carry it as my CC gun. Wondering what you all think you'd be comfortable with as a min trigger pull weight.

EDIT: Just saw on their site the disclaimer that the competition trigger is not for CC use, so obviously Apex doesn't think it would be OK but I am thinking this is a CYA disclaimer. People carry 1911's with pretty light triggers on a regular basis.

What's your skill level? Are you a USPSA Grand Master? "A" class? How many thousands of rounds do you shoot per year? Have you taken any advanced level defensive pistol courses? If so, how many and from which nationally recognized schools? Have you polled any top tier shooting pros or training SME's as to what they use for CCW?

These questions may sound impertinent, but they're serious questions. I see a great number of shooters who aren't safe enough to use a sub 3# trigger on a square range, much less a dynamic or two way range. I don't know you so I have no frame of reference regarding this. It's just that I see too many shooters who can't realize the benefits of such equipment mods, because they haven't taken the time to master the fundamentals.

I've shot at a pretty high level and none of my carry guns have sub 4# triggers. For that matter, none of my competition guns have sub 3# triggers. Just some food for thought.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go as light as you want and keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot. Simple as that. I carry a GLOCK 17 with 3.75# trigger every day.

This^^^^

Too many people worried about what it says on paper and hypotheticals. Get off the couch and go train with your gun! Trigger weight doesn't make a bit of difference if your finger stays off the trigger until a threat present! I have a xdm with 4# pull with trigger kit installed. It was 3.5 pound but the light striker spring began having light strikes, so went back to stock striker spring. Still only 4# pull and very shortened reset and travel from my trigger kit installed. I train often and never have a problem with pulling trigger. If you want a heavy trigger, fine. If you want a light trigger, fine. But don't base this decision on some hypothetical improbability, base it on what you shoot best and can shoot safely. Trigger pull weight only comes into play after threat is identified and you are about to shoot anyway, either way you have made up your mind to shoot regardless if its a heavy or light trigger pull.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trigger pull weight will not be an issue in the criminal portion of defending a self-defense shooting.

It will almost certainly be raised as an issue in a civil trial.

Whether it becomes significant or not will depend greatly upon the facts of the incident, however I do not carry any triggers that have been modified.

If I thought it would significantly affect my chances for survival, I wouldn't worry about carrying a modified trigger. However trigger weight is about 478th on my top 500 list of what affects survival in lethal force encounters.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom