TriStar 9 mm from Academy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reading lots of good things about these CZ 75 clones that you can get from Academy for like $349. I'd like to hear about your experiences with one, if you have any. Tell me that any gun that cheap can't possibly be any good and that I shouldn't recommend one to my nephew for his first pistol. Can you tell me anything bad about it?

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have on. Great gun, great price. Got mine in December from there for $299 ( I had 2 $100 gift cards from Christmas, so I was only out $100, so I figured I'd give it a shot). Fit and finish is great. Mags are made by mecgar. I haven't had a single problem. I just wish I had gotten a full size instead of compact, as I like full sized pistols better. If you like a metal DA/SA pistol, then this one is a steal. Any other questions, give me a shout.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an L-120. I think the L stands for light weight since the frame is alloy. I got mine from SSP. You'll find there are several models. Tristar is the importer. The manufacturer is Canik 55, a turkish company.

Mine has a very heavy DA trigger and a really sweet SA trigger. If you look at one from across the room, you'll swear it's a CZ75 with fixed sights. Seems very well made. I haven't done any serious target work with it yet.

For the price, I figured it would be the near perfect truck gun. I think I was right.

Bad picture!

Canik.jpg

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have handled them and for the money they seem great, the only thing I didn't like was the hammer looked a little crude. I might buy an all steel one but the only ones I see are lightweight alloy.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think the T-120 is all steel. Don't take my word for it, though. They have a website. Google Canik 55 for a lot of info and reviews.

If you haven't held an L-120, try it. I think you'll be impressed.

By the way, if you're into CZ 75 clones, check out the SARS line. They're more expensive, but are quality pistols. Also Turkish-made. SSP has them, I believe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom