Tulsa World endorses Democrat for the first time in 14 years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Article here: http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/article.aspx?subjectid=61&articleid=20121014_61_G6_Therac456570

Olson's 15 years of military service includes deployments in the Afghanistan War and in South Korea. Following his tour in Afghanistan, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Military Police Corps. He currently is the company commander for a drill sergeant company headquartered in Tulsa.

Olson favors improved educational and other benefits for veterans, to reward them for years of service to their country and to help them "catch up" in their civilian careers. He was motivated to run for office in part because of the high number of suicides among his comrades and what he perceived as a lack of services to help them deal with mental health issues that resulted from repeated, lengthy deployments to very dangerous war zones.

He wants an energy policy that recognizes natural gas as an efficient and affordable bridge fuel while alternative sources of energy are being developed.

He strongly supports the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Voting history in the 1st District, essentially Tulsa and Washington counties, works against Olson. The district has elected only one Democrat since 1948. That was James R. Jones, who last served 25 years ago. In a year that is shaping up to be another banner one for Oklahoma Republicans, Olson faces an uphill battle.

But if voters on Nov. 6 will lay aside their partisanship for awhile and take a good look at the candidates, they will see that John Olson is the best man for the job.

Also has an 'A' rating from the NRA, just saying.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
His NRA rating, just like his opponent, is "AQ", meaning he simply responded favorably to a questionnaire they sent him.

Neither he nor his opponent have a voting record to go by so that's the best metric we have.

Here's his viewpoint on the issues. Some are extremely terse, but oh well.
http://olsonforoklahoma.com/home/on-the-issues/
That copywriter sure loves to describe everything with "we".

It's an underdog House race in Oklahoma, they're not going to have William S Burroughs writing their website.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, Can you explain the headline? I did a search of Tulsa World endorsements and they endorse Democrats all the time. Do you remember the Tulsa tribune? They were the conservative paper while the Tulsa world was the liberal view.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My thought would be, in this day and age, who would this endorsement influence? More importantly, which candidate would Jugs magazine endorse?
I can't actually remember the last time I read a newspaper.I'm sure it would have been the Oklahoman or USA Today. Or may be one of the local papers.
I do remember reading Grit at my grandma's house, I tried it a few years back, but it's changed enough I didn't renew.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like he's got a pretty solid platform....I would say he would be a very good choice. I don't care about political parties or voting party lines, I prefer to vote based on a persons ideas for the future.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither he nor his opponent have a voting record to go by so that's the best metric we have.
It's not really a metric... I've yet to find someone without a voting record who doesn't have an AQ rating.

It's an underdog House race in Oklahoma, they're not going to have William S Burroughs writing their website.

Maybe he should have dressed up like Larry The Cable Guy and ran on "Git 'er passed!'

Latest posts

Top Bottom