Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had one for a while. Sold it on here I think. I had read about trimming 444 brass down and using it. I think the load was the 444 Buller or something like that. That never happened
I watched a couple utube videos about making 410 brass from 9.3x74r brass, but I haven’t been able to get it to work right yet. :anyone:

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, my picture did have a story with it but I accidentally deleted it before I posted and was too lazy to retype it. I shot it, not my son. I was using the little 510 mini with 3” 13/16oz federal tss 9s. My son was in my lap under a camo tarp and we’d been set up on them for over an hour and I thought they put the slip on us. When I stood up to leave, I saw three red heads coming down the trail that put them right on top of me so we sat back down and covered up. They were 15yds out and setting at the fence on the property line and I was waiting with my finger on the trigger for the first one to step over the line. My son is kinda sick and had a loud coughing attack right as I’m squeezing the trigger and the birds scatter. I called at them, they gobbled and came back except they were all atleast 30 yards out. The closest one was behind a tree I ranged at 27yds, so i figure it was right at 30yds. I shot and the bird dropped. Turned out to be 37yrds. I could only see two hits in the head, but I found 5 pellets that penetrated thru the chest. 9” beard, 7/8” and 1 1/8” spurs, 18.8lbs. And shameless brag on my son- he’s 5 and rowdy and I couldn’t believe how good he did holding still, staying quiet (minus a cough or two) and just being patient while we waited. He’s gonna be on the trigger next year I bet. That was my favorite turkey hunt yet. We found some sheds, caught some fish, called and shot a raccoon and just had a great time in general.
IMG_4212.jpeg
IMG_4192.jpeg
IMG_4173.jpeg
IMG_4163.jpeg
IMG_4180.jpeg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my picture did have a story with it but I accidentally deleted it before I posted and was too lazy to retype it. I shot it, not my son. I was using the little 510 mini with 3” 13/16oz federal tss 9s. My son was in my lap under a camo tarp and we’d been set up on them for over an hour and I thought they put the slip on us. When I stood up to leave, I saw three red heads coming down the trail that put them right on top of me so we sat back down and covered up. They were 15yds out and setting at the fence on the property line and I was waiting with my finger on the trigger for the first one to step over the line. My son is kinda sick and had a loud coughing attack right as I’m squeezing the trigger and the birds scatter. I called at them, they gobbled and came back except they were all atleast 30 yards out. The closest one was behind a tree I ranged at 27yds, so i figure it was right at 30yds. I shot and the bird dropped. Turned out to be 37yrds. I could only see two hits in the head, but I found 5 pellets that penetrated thru the chest. 9” beard, 7/8” and 1 1/8” spurs, 18.8lbs. And shameless brag on my son- he’s 5 and rowdy and I couldn’t believe how good he did holding still, staying quiet (minus a cough or two) and just being patient while we waited. He’s gonna be on the trigger next year I bet. That was my favorite turkey hunt yet. We found some sheds, caught some fish, called and shot a raccoon and just had a great time in general.

Just curious, what’d you do with the raccoon you shot? Harvest the pelt?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my picture did have a story with it but I accidentally deleted it before I posted and was too lazy to retype it. I shot it, not my son. I was using the little 510 mini with 3” 13/16oz federal tss 9s. My son was in my lap under a camo tarp and we’d been set up on them for over an hour and I thought they put the slip on us. When I stood up to leave, I saw three red heads coming down the trail that put them right on top of me so we sat back down and covered up. They were 15yds out and setting at the fence on the property line and I was waiting with my finger on the trigger for the first one to step over the line. My son is kinda sick and had a loud coughing attack right as I’m squeezing the trigger and the birds scatter. I called at them, they gobbled and came back except they were all atleast 30 yards out. The closest one was behind a tree I ranged at 27yds, so i figure it was right at 30yds. I shot and the bird dropped. Turned out to be 37yrds. I could only see two hits in the head, but I found 5 pellets that penetrated thru the chest. 9” beard, 7/8” and 1 1/8” spurs, 18.8lbs. And shameless brag on my son- he’s 5 and rowdy and I couldn’t believe how good he did holding still, staying quiet (minus a cough or two) and just being patient while we waited. He’s gonna be on the trigger next year I bet. That was my favorite turkey hunt yet. We found some sheds, caught some fish, called and shot a raccoon and just had a great time in general.View attachment 472294View attachment 472295View attachment 472297View attachment 472298View attachment 472296
Great pics!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my picture did have a story with it but I accidentally deleted it before I posted and was too lazy to retype it. I shot it, not my son. I was using the little 510 mini with 3” 13/16oz federal tss 9s. My son was in my lap under a camo tarp and we’d been set up on them for over an hour and I thought they put the slip on us. When I stood up to leave, I saw three red heads coming down the trail that put them right on top of me so we sat back down and covered up. They were 15yds out and setting at the fence on the property line and I was waiting with my finger on the trigger for the first one to step over the line. My son is kinda sick and had a loud coughing attack right as I’m squeezing the trigger and the birds scatter. I called at them, they gobbled and came back except they were all atleast 30 yards out. The closest one was behind a tree I ranged at 27yds, so i figure it was right at 30yds. I shot and the bird dropped. Turned out to be 37yrds. I could only see two hits in the head, but I found 5 pellets that penetrated thru the chest. 9” beard, 7/8” and 1 1/8” spurs, 18.8lbs. And shameless brag on my son- he’s 5 and rowdy and I couldn’t believe how good he did holding still, staying quiet (minus a cough or two) and just being patient while we waited. He’s gonna be on the trigger next year I bet. That was my favorite turkey hunt yet. We found some sheds, caught some fish, called and shot a raccoon and just had a great time in general.View attachment 472294View attachment 472295View attachment 472297View attachment 472298View attachment 472296
Oh man, you had a great day with your son. It gets no better than that!

Latest posts

Top Bottom