Turkey Hunting Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve only killed a couple turkeys in my life, so I don’t know much about the ethics or ”rules”. I‘ve been watching turkeys on my cameras, and the toms I’m seeing appear to be young and have short beards (4”+/- beards). Do y‘all pass on short beards like young bucks or just shoot whatever tom comes in to the call?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not being a turkey hunter, is that like saying I’d rather shoot a buck that weighs 275 lbs than one with a 170” rack? :anyone:
Rios in our part of the state rarely if ever get spurs longer than 1 1/4". Most just 3/4-1" on mature birds even. Osceolas and Easterns on the other hand can grow some daggers.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rios in our part of the state rarely if ever get spurs longer than 1 1/4". Most just 3/4-1" on mature birds even. Osceolas and Easterns on the other hand can grow some daggers.
Interesting. I’ve got the feet, beards, and fans in my freezer from both toms I’ve killed, since I can’t remember, I’ll have to look at how long the spurs are. I know the beards were 9.5 and 10”.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I have a choice I kill the fattest one.
Care less what beard or spurs look like I am a meat eater I have never kept or even measured the beard or feet.
I kept some feathers to make jigs and arrow fletchings.

Cut meat into small strips and chicken fry it in a pan on the stove top.
If you are in an area that allows rifle hunting in the fall then shoot them on the poop shoot or down low like that.
Tends to gut the bird and not blow the thing up.
Arrow hunting you take out a leg and the bird can't run. If it can't run then it can't launch into flight.
Chase it and kill it.

That's all I got.. And some scars from fighting birds that can't fly :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom