Under 21 Non-Resident Concealed Carry in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connorkeef

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just took my OK SDA course today (and am using it to satisfy my Maine CCW training requirement). I have read up quite a bit on the law for Oklahoma after reading the SDA law book. However, after looking at handgunlaw.us, I found the following...

Oklahoma Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor. (Must be 21 Y/O)

No where in the SDA Law Book does it state that permit holders from other states must be 21. Is the site wrong or am I?

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe it is based on the idea that non-residents must adhere to the provisions of the Oklahoma SDA law, such as where you can or cannot carry, what type of weapon is covered, disclosure requirement when dealing with law enforcement, etc.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
connerkeef emailed me asking me this question and I can't find anything in my notes why I put 21. So have emails into people in OSBI and another contact asking about this. Been looking more and OK honors both ND Class 1 and 2 and ND issues the class 2 to people 18 or over. ND specifically states that OK will honor both their Class 1 and Class 2. So I may be wrong with the 21. As soon as I hear anything different I will updated the OK Page at www.handgunlaw.us. Thanks for the email. Questions like that always get me looking and that is what leads to correct answers.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
18 Y/O's can possess a handgun in OK. Here is the statute.

§21-1273. Allowing minors to possess firearms.
ALLOWING MINORS TO POSSESS FIREARMS
A. It shall be unlawful for any person within this state to sell or give to any child any of the arms or weapons designated in Section 1272 of this title; provided, the provisions of this section shall not prohibit a parent from giving his or her child a rifle or shotgun for participation in hunting animals or fowl, hunter safety classes, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting events, except as provided in subsection B of this section.
B. It shall be unlawful for any parent or guardian to intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly permit his or her child to possess any of the arms or weapons designated in Section 1272 of this title, including any rifle or shotgun, if such parent is aware of a substantial risk that the child will use the weapon to commit a criminal offense or if the child has either been adjudicated a delinquent or has been convicted as an adult for any criminal offense.
C. It shall be unlawful for any child to possess any of the arms or weapons designated in Section 1272 of this title, except rifles or shotguns used for participation in hunting animals or fowl, hunter safety classes, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting event. Provided, the possession of rifles or shotguns authorized by this section shall not authorize the possession of such weapons by any person who is subject to the provisions of Section 1283 of this title.
D. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished as provided in Section 1276 of this title, and, any child violating the provisions of this section shall be subject to adjudication as a delinquent. In addition, any person violating the provisions of this section shall be liable for civil damages for any injury or death to any person and for any damage to property resulting from any discharge of a firearm or use of any other weapon as provided in Section 10 of Title 23 of the Oklahoma Statutes. Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act may be liable for an administrative violation as provided in Section 1276 of this title.
E. As used in this section, "child" means a person under eighteen (18) years of age.
R.L.1910, § 2547. Amended by Laws 1993, c. 309, § 2, emerg. eff. June 7, 1993; Laws 1994, c. 290, § 52, eff. July 1, 1994; Laws 1995, c. 272, § 29, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Laws 2000, c. 382, § 13, eff. July 1, 2000; Laws 2012, c. 259, § 4, eff. Nov. 1, 2012.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I continue to look at why I put 21 I came across some info I had written down. Below is some of the laws that don't state you have to be 21 but state you have to be 21 to apply In OK. They put that 21 in the Reciprocity law but again don't state you have to be 21 but then state you have to be 21 to apply in OK. They keep sticking that 21 in there. I can't find where it states, "You have to be 21 to carry in OK." Just can't find that but again they keep sticking that 21 in there for applying.

So will wait and see what OSBI and my other contact tell me. This is the problem with laws. They write them so Gray it is difficult to understand some of them. But will keep digging and see If I can find answers.

§21-1290.26v1. Reciprocal agreement authority.
RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.
A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.
B. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority of a state that is a nonpermitted carry state and the person is in compliance with the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the person is authorized to carry a concealed firearm in this state. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to the nonpermitting laws of the state in which he or she is a legal resident. The person shall present proper identification by a valid photo ID as proof that he or she is a legal resident in such a non-permitting state. The Department of Public Safety shall keep a current list of non-permitting states for law enforcement officers to confirm that a state is nonpermitting.
C. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a concealed handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.
Added by Laws 1996, c. 191, § 20, emerg. eff. May 16, 1996. Amended by Laws 1998, c. 286, § 7, eff. July 1, 1998; Laws 2003, c. 465, § 9, eff. July 1, 2003; Laws 2012, c. 195, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2012.

§21-1290.26v2. Reciprocal agreement authority.
RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.
Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.
Added by Laws 1996, c. 191, § 20, emerg. eff. May 16, 1996. Amended by Laws 1998, c. 286, § 7, eff. July 1, 1998; Laws 2003, c. 465, § 9, eff. July 1, 2003; Laws 2012, c. 259, § 44, eff. Nov. 1, 2012.

connorkeef

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get the idea that since it says "any" concealed carry permit, plus the idea that according to North Dakota, Oklahoma accepts their Class B License (age 18-21), that this is incorrect.

Last edited:

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing. The times I have contacted them it took a week or two to get an answer. A few Times I never received answer. Give them some time.

I will say the more I keep looking the more I believe it is 18. Honoring ND is the big one. ND also states that they honor all ND permits and those are issued to those 18. But still looking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom