Ussa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the limited information that I know but it's been a couple weeks, so some of this may be outdated. A new majority owner took over on January 1st, 2014. There had been very limited progress to the new shooting areas in the last couple months due to pending deal changing hands. It is my understanding that the new owner has brought in a person or two of his own and most of the prior employees are no longer there. Not sure what the new business plan in moving forward but we in Tulsa still have one of the very best outdoor ranges in the country to shoot at. In my opinion and all of the following is my opinion only so take it for what it's worth, the vision of this range was gigantic and so was the debt accumulated to build it. The original owner way over-staffed and accumulated even more overhead in the hope that if you build it they will come. Most of us know what happened next. Majority ownership changed hands and the new majority owner wasn't a shooter and didn't really have a clue where to go and what to do. The other limited owners have enjoyed a great playground for their toys (full auto shoots and zombie festivals) but, due to lack of skin in the game haven't done much to build membership. There is a membership threshold at which point the range pays for itself and begins to make money. That magic membership number has never been reached and the range has not been profitable. The second owner sold off seldom used parts of the range to the Sheriff's Dept. in order to fund new development of additional ranges but then saw the opportunity to reduce his losses (he was a builder, not a gun guy) and sold his ownership to the current and new majority owner. Who knows what will happen next. I don't know how deep the new owners pockets are but I hope they are deep enough to ride the wave for a couple of years while they figure out how to make the range profitable. As of now it seems like the focus is going to be less on group training/classes and more on range memberships and concealed carry classes. In the meantime I will continue to support the facility any way I can as it is a great facility and we are lucky to have it in the Tulsa Metro Area. I would encourage any other shooters to do what they can as well to support USSA as it also serves as the range for several great instructors in the Tulsa Metro area who can't afford a range of their own. I belong to other ranges and have private land I can shoot on but most people don't. If we don't support facilities when someone has the vision to build them then we will someday be in a situation where the vast majority of people will no longer be exposed to the shooting sports. We need to be the majority, not the minority if we are to continue to have strong Second Amendment rights. That's what I know and think. YMMV

Crusader8207

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the limited information that I know but it's been a couple weeks, so some of this may be outdated. A new majority owner took over on January 1st, 2014. There had been very limited progress to the new shooting areas in the last couple months due to pending deal changing hands. It is my understanding that the new owner has brought in a person or two of his own and most of the prior employees are no longer there. Not sure what the new business plan in moving forward but we in Tulsa still have one of the very best outdoor ranges in the country to shoot at. In my opinion and all of the following is my opinion only so take it for what it's worth, the vision of this range was gigantic and so was the debt accumulated to build it. The original owner way over-staffed and accumulated even more overhead in the hope that if you build it they will come. Most of us know what happened next. Majority ownership changed hands and the new majority owner wasn't a shooter and didn't really have a clue where to go and what to do. The other limited owners have enjoyed a great playground for their toys (full auto shoots and zombie festivals) but, due to lack of skin in the game haven't done much to build membership. There is a membership threshold at which point the range pays for itself and begins to make money. That magic membership number has never been reached and the range has not been profitable. The second owner sold off seldom used parts of the range to the Sheriff's Dept. in order to fund new development of additional ranges but then saw the opportunity to reduce his losses (he was a builder, not a gun guy) and sold his ownership to the current and new majority owner. Who knows what will happen next. I don't know how deep the new owners pockets are but I hope they are deep enough to ride the wave for a couple of years while they figure out how to make the range profitable. As of now it seems like the focus is going to be less on group training/classes and more on range memberships and concealed carry classes. In the meantime I will continue to support the facility any way I can as it is a great facility and we are lucky to have it in the Tulsa Metro Area. I would encourage any other shooters to do what they can as well to support USSA as it also serves as the range for several great instructors in the Tulsa Metro area who can't afford a range of their own. I belong to other ranges and have private land I can shoot on but most people don't. If we don't support facilities when someone has the vision to build them then we will someday be in a situation where the vast majority of people will no longer be exposed to the shooting sports. We need to be the majority, not the minority if we are to continue to have strong Second Amendment rights. That's what I know and think. YMMV

Excellent post! Thanks for the update.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. USSA is an outstanding facility but I'm not likely to renew without the training group option.

As of now it seems like the focus is going to be less on group training/classes and more on range memberships and concealed carry classes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom