Video: Walker with R&D conversion cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool! I've got a '58 Remington with the Kirst kit in it to run .45 Colt. Also have a '61 Navy with the Kirst kit to run .38 Long Colt. Conversions were an interesting time in history before the cartridge guns took over. Super Dave may be along to comment since he's messed around with conversions quite a bit and still has a few things he didn't sucker me into buying...yet. ;-)

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think mine is the figment of someone's imagination. I would be extremely surprised if an original Walker was ever converted to cartridge. Just weren't enough of them made to begin with. Regardless, it's nice to have the option to just load cartridges, or load powder, ball and cap.

BTW, a feller from another forum drilled his R&D out to accept .460 Smith&Wesson cartridges. Don't worry, he doesn't load it with smokeless! I've thought about doing mine the same. Sure would look cool at a CAS match to be dropping those long suckers into a Cowboy gun.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty well. I used it last night to film my son's Christmas play. I didn't think it would do very well in low light, but it actually did OK. It is worth the money.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think mine is the figment of someone's imagination. I would be extremely surprised if an original Walker was ever converted to cartridge. Just weren't enough of them made to begin with. Regardless, it's nice to have the option to just load cartridges, or load powder, ball and cap.

BTW, a feller from another forum drilled his R&D out to accept .460 Smith&Wesson cartridges. Don't worry, he doesn't load it with smokeless! I've thought about doing mine the same. Sure would look cool at a CAS match to be dropping those long suckers into a Cowboy gun.

I wouldn't be too surprised if an original converted Walker was around somewhere. When I saw the converted Paterson at Woolaroc, I knew all bets were off. Yep, conversions are fun. I sure would be scared to run much more than .45 Colt in an open top!

Super Dave and I have talked about building a conv cylinder for my Uberti Paterson. Not sure if I'll ever go for it though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom