Vortex or BSA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO BDC for 187, or BSA 6-18x40 Sweet 22 that includes their boresighting kit for $170. This is going on my 10/22 Target clone with threaded barrel. Optics are all I need to finish it up.

Sparky2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For someone to tell you that brand XYZ is epic and to look no further, they would have to have used or owned the best of the best and give you a good opinion...

I have not done so, nor do I have exactly what you are looking at... but I have a vortex PST FFP 6-16x50 and it is amazing by my standards. I have used an SWFA scope and this is by far better. It is clearer than my ACOG. It is very well built and I have no issue recommending vortex to you.

Where the real question lies is what do you actually need, and subsequently is brand A enough of an improvement over brand B for the given circumstance.

Unless you want to shoot the staples off of targets, I'd go with whichever matches your budget and the capabilities of your equipment best.

Having said all of that... the BSA will be fine... hell more than fine, but if the vortex is anything like mine it will be some of the best glass you own.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The answer is never BSA... unless the question is what should you never waste your money on.

Seriously, there is better for the same or less money and I've never seen a BSA scope or optic of any kind that made me think it was worth the (even minimal amount of) money.

I'd say Vortex or look at Primary Arms, and then to Leupold/Nikon's cheaper line or Bushnell.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vortex. Better product, better warranty, better customer service. Not even close. And yes, I am familiar with the brands.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a 17 on trade that had a BSA on it. I wasn't real happy with the idea of the BSA but the guy I got it from said it was a nice scope and he really liked it. I decided to give it a chance. I shot about 15-20 rounds with the BSA on it, went home and took it off an ordered a Vortex, the same model Vortex you are thinking about. I would highly recommend the vortex and would stay far, far away from the BSA.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive only looked through a BSA once. Afterwards my wife had to make an appointment for me at my opticians office because I could no longer see. It ruined my eye sight the sight picture was so bad.

On a serious note, I don't know how BSA is still in business. Another company I'd at least consider is Redfield. They are now owned by Leupold and are an excellent value.

Latest posts

Top Bottom