Vortex or BSA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've had two BSA's, both are gone, and glad to see them gone.

I have a Mueller APT (the bigger, "tactical", brother to the APV) and like it well for what I paid. I caught it used on RimfireCentral for $130 with Burris XTR rings. I've seen the APV go for under $100.

No experience with the Vortex personally.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few older first generation Sweet 17's I put on a couple of savage's... I like em. They're clear out to the effective range and I have zero problems with them. Highly recommended.

I also have some newer Sweet 22's that ended up on ebay at a loss. Never again.

Vortex makes some really good stuff, as does SWFA and Redfield/Leupold(though you'll never confuse the redfield sight picture with a leupold sight picture), but I absolutely love Nikon's Monarch line, and their caliber specific p-series is also a decent bargain.

It's often quite common that the more successful shooters usually spend an amount equal to/or an amount exceeding the rifle build... But then again, the best scope in the world won't make you a world class shooter.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a Redfield and BSA...A Revolution 4-12 and a Sweet 22.

Can't beat the Redfield for quality.
And the BSA Sweet 22 has been doing just fine. Was hitting an 8" plate at 200+ with a 20" bolt Marlin with it. The target BDC turrets are a bit off, but it works.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a Redfield and BSA...A Revolution 4-12 and a Sweet 22.

Can't beat the Redfield for quality.
And the BSA Sweet 22 has been doing just fine. Was hitting an 8" plate at 200+ with a 20" bolt Marlin with it. The target BDC turrets are a bit off, but it works.

I had the same issue with my first Sweet series scope. Found out that the scope height was a factor in the bdc turrets. Bought some shorter rings, good to go 300yds 17hmr. But that's also why I went to the Nikon BDC series. The app/software allows a factor of each individual scope mount height, and seems to work really well.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Between the two: Vortex every time. I bought a nikon prostaff 4-12x that was on my .308 for $180 from midway usa. It was a good scope, til it falls out of a tree.

SPCAS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Comparing a Vortex to BSA is like comparing Gold(Vortex) to a yellow painted rock(BSA). Vortex, Love the ones I have. I do have a BSA on a .22, Great for the kids to bang around but I wouldnt use it for anything more than kid training.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i bought a sweet 22 for Marlin 60. works great and functions goos for shooting buzzards at 50 yds. id' sell it if someone wanted to buy it.

i also have a vortex, that i would never sell. like someone said earlier, its very nice glass for the price range.

my 1 penny

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Vortex has transferable lifetime warranty's on even their 100ish dollar scopes. I got the crossfire for my wife's 10/22 and it did have a problem...but even after dura coating it,loosing the little vortex emblem on the adjustment knob, I sent it in and about 1.5 weeks later we had a brand new one in the mail. No issues with the new unit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom