Watching the movie adaptation of Orwell's 1984 released in 1954

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Original was in black and white and the book is a great read. The 1956 movie is more accurate than the later version(s).
Orwell's black and white version is better than the colorized 1956 or the newer versions. 1984 deserves to be in black and white. Colorless like the world once all freedom is removed The dim tones and lifeless color depicts a world under the boot of Big Brother. The dying of the light. The loss of all souls, all minds and all freedoms.
Sound familiar?
It's a cool movie, and the book is a great read if your flying somewhere with a lay over. Kinda how I pick books now. Can I finish it to and from.
Ha.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you posted this. Last night I started watching a newer version with John Heard and Richard Burton in it. I read the book when I was very young and had seen the movie before. I've been looking for the 1956 version to add to my collection of over 4,000 movies.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you posted this. Last night I started watching a newer version with John Heard and Richard Burton in it. I read the book when I was very young and had seen the movie before. I've been looking for the 1956 version to add to my collection of over 4,000 movies.
It's on YouTube and it was attempted to colorize it at some point but it's at the beginning of that process so it's not that good back then, so it's still mostly black and white as it should. I'd just down load to a flash drive
I enjoyed seeing it again. Wife and I are flying out Monday for a va/ca with the perfect flight time. Think I'll download a couple of Tarantino movies that will cover to and frow.

Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's about all you're going to get. It's amazing that he wrote this about 1948 at the end of WW2. It had to be inspired by Stalin's control over his people. He had to have his people obey out of fear or brainwashing. Both probably. To be able to send men with no training or equipment at the enemy in hopes of overwhelming them with numbers and dead bodies. In the millions. Absolute control. No question of authority.
If he needed an example, that would be a good start. But, no civilians knew the massive deaths were being inflicted on Stalin's own people in 1948. Orwell would have to own a crystal ball.
At lease Citizen Kane was based on a real person, William Randolph Hearst.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's about all you're going to get. It's amazing that he wrote this about 1948 at the end of WW2. It had to be inspired by Stalin's control over his people. He had to have his people obey out of fear or brainwashing. Both probably. To be able to send men with no training or equipment at the enemy in hopes of overwhelming them with numbers and dead bodies. In the millions. Absolute control. No question of authority.
If he needed an example, that would be a good start. But, no civilians knew the massive deaths were being inflicted on Stalin's own people in 1948. Orwell would have to own a crystal ball.
At lease Citizen Kane was based on a real person, William Randolph Hearst.
I worked with a German national. They had no comprehension of civil disobedience. If the government said you couldn’t do or have something that was just it. No crying about it, you just went about conforming. Period.

This was in the ‘00s and it kind of blew my mind a little.

Latest posts

Top Bottom