Went to the dunes today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to go a lot back in the 80's with a buddy that had a couple 3 wheelers. Never taken my 4 wheelers tho, always heard its so crowded on weekends any more you'll get run over even with a flag

On big holiday weekends it’s pretty crowded.
This weekend there might have been 50-75 machines on the entire place. When on top of a dune, you might see a group off in the distance.
During the week, you might be the only one there, which in itself is not safe or prudent. If one breaks down, it’s a long walk to the parking lot.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went there back in the early 90’s and it was awesome. We didn’t even have anything to ride and it was fun. Definitely something to see before you die. Crazy that something like that is in our state. Just another thing I love about Oklahoma. We have some of the most diverse ecosystems in the US.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think any vehicle newer than 1996 can go out there. Might not be a wise decision for some, as inexperience in off road conditions can have you shelling out big bucks for recovery.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On big holiday weekends it’s pretty crowded.
This weekend there might have been 50-75 machines on the entire place. When on top of a dune, you might see a group off in the distance.
During the week, you might be the only one there, which in itself is not safe or prudent. If one breaks down, it’s a long walk to the parking lot.
Yea as I get older I realize there are quite a few things I shouldn't do "alone". Might have to try it sometime during the week(when the ice melts!)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea as I get older I realize there are quite a few things I shouldn't do "alone". Might have to try it sometime during the week(when the ice melts!)
Same here. I used to blast the steepest dunes and catch as much sky as possible. Now, I have just as much fun riding the trails and crawling the dunes. I still have the desire for speed, but common sense takes over.
My old 3 wheelers, one of which I still ride only had about 4" of suspension. It can get a little rough, but this 4 wheeler has a whole lot more. It's like riding a cadillac.
Difference in a sports car and cruiser I guess. The 3 wheeler requires one to ride it using the body for balance, searching for the right gear, etc. The 4 wheeler is driven.
The fun factor goes to the 3 wheeler on the dunes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom