Western state draw hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am finally where I can start thinking about a few hunting trips. I want to go out west but have no clue where to start. I know sme states you need to put in several years in a row. Thought maybe everyone could share their knowledge here and help me outo some. Heck maybe some of us can get a trip together

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend a reputable resource such as Eastman's Journal or Huntin' Fool. Both provide nearly all the info needed for western big game hunting. Especially if your wanting to pursue the more sought after trophy hunts. Quality budget hunts are fairly easy to obtain just by word of mouth, finding over the counter areas with public lands can provide successful hunts without much expense.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly don't know where to start. Was hoping to spur some conversation and stories from guys that have went. I am an equal opportunity hunter. Elk,mule deer,bear, proghorn etc.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wyoming for mule deer and antelope. My dad and several of his friends went every year, for years and years, and I don't recall anyone coming home empty handed.
There are a ton of elk in CO, and a lot of over the counter opportunities for an archer. Rifle/ML for most units will take several pref points. This will be the 4th year for me to put in unit 20 rifle, which should be a draw for this coming year, fingers crossed. Unit 80 we were able to draw every other year ML tags.
I would think you need to determine whether you want to go after quantity or quality. Sometimes those aren't always found in the same areas. I keep putting in for unit 20 because I have a buddy who lives there, has access to 2000a that borders Rocky Mtn. National Park
and is only 20 minutes from his home.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Consider what species you want and weather guided or DIY Colorado has a wealth of over the counter tags for archery and gun tags. Success is very low and hunting pressure high. Mule deer you will need three points for an average unit with a rifle. 18-20 for a premium unit. Draw elk for a rifle can take 2-30 points depending on unit higher potential for trophy Bulls the more points will be required. Arizona for elk in unit 9 for an archery tag takes 17 points but you can hunt other units with a lot less. Idaho is the best bang for your buck honestly. No preference point system so you have the same chance as the guy who's put in 20 plus years for the same tag. Wyoming for antelope mule deer and elk offer some great opportunities with minimal preference points. Nevada Arizona and Idaho require you too buy a non resident hunting license annually just to apply (non refundable). Pm me here I've got a better break down i can email you with state specific draw odds and costs as well as deadline dates. I personally use cabelas tags for Wyoming Montana and Utah and apply myself in Colorado Idaho and Alaska. New Mexico has screwed non residents around on tag allocations to the point I'm gonna burn my points in the next few years and focus on other states with better opportunity. Colorado is a state you can hunt every year for elk while building points for a better unit. In other states you're better off saving and buying a landowner tag and taking a guided hunt depending on your age and what your expectations are. The more states you can afford to apply for tags in the better. I spend 2600 a year in Colorado alone (I get most of it back when I'm unsuccessful ) know that some states make you pay the license fee up front but will get a refund if unsuccessful and some states charges a smaller fee but require you to use a valid credit card in case your drawn and charge the liscence fee then. Really need to decide short term and long term what your goals are and what species you want to hunt.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also I really recommend a membership to either Eastman huntin fool or my favorite go hunt.com insider they compile all the states and break it down by unit all the states offer it online but these services put it in one place in an easier to use format. Worth every penny to have a resource that has it all in one place (magazine Eastman and huntin fool ) online gohunt insider I've let my eastmans go and am just paying the 150 a year for gohunt.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far I'm planning a semi guided elk hunt in NM this year, should up my odds as I will be on the outfitter pool for a tags.

Unless any other ideas/suggestions? 90% sure I'll take my bow.

Budget is ~3500.

Latest posts

Top Bottom