What are you doing for communications?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been researching communications lately. My boys are getting older and like to play with an old set of Walkie Talkies I have which has only focused my search more. With the well documented and the easy to modify CB radios, they are fine choice for distance, but no so much for privacy. This got me looking on eBay where there are number of people upgrading two-way land/mobil systems and selling their old systems.

These are nice UHF commercial units that can be programmed/reprogrammed inside specific frequency ranges.

**Before we go down the FCC regulation story, don't. I fully understand that a license is needed for most anything other then those in the FRS and CB range***

I ask about these more commercial units because they have much higher sensitivity then the regular consumer units, plus they have cleaner power output for a better all around signal even with the 4/5watt max.

We have purchased and tested a number of units that fall in the GRMS/FRS bands and find them all lacking when in the woods with different elevations. Most struggle to reach 3/4 mile, where as good ol' CB's are solid for good distances and can easily have a linear amp installed to make the signal stronger.

What have you looked at in lieu of your Cell phone if you need to communicate with your group.

OH! one great thing is many of the midland units can be charged through the head phone port (Tip is +) via an Phone car charger.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked at MURS? Something that I'm leaning towards. I purchased a VHF radio and programmed 5 of the channels for MURS.

I'm not a radio guy by any means. To be honest, this is one area in which I knew more. I can only read so much on the internet.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might take a look at Ham Radio. Licenses are relatively easy to get, equipment is very reliable and can be purchased new or used for reasonable prices. Your options can be talking locally or for world wide communication. There are rules, regulations, and restrictions of what and how you use the frequencies, but very useful in emergencies. Ham radio is public like virtually all radio communication what ever you choose.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just passed my Tech test and am now looking at different radios and systems. All I really know for sure is I need to do a lot more reading before I start spending money.

We have a couple of little walkie-talkie things that GC picked up last year. They work okay ... but can't get too far from each other ... from the house to the local 7-11 is the best we can hope for in range (yep, we tested them! LOL). And, of course, for right now we have his work radios to listen to if there's something urgent going on -- but I won't have that capability, obviously, if he is at work.

The HAM stuff is pretty cool though ... a better way to get news during disaster situations than the news IMHO ... At least it's more accurate anyway ...

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea what MURS is... I'll have to research that one.

As for HAM, I'm indifferent to it. I just want a solid, easy to use system. I'm not against HAM, but just haven't given it any attention. I was looking for a more grab and go situation seeing as I'm not going to get my wife and kids through a licensing process..

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats to you on passing the Tech License - the General is just the next step away and gets you 90% of everything else.
Like automobiles, there are three major brands and a few others. I started out with Yaesu's, and for me they are the easiest to program for my logic. I have had several of their HT's and Mobile's over the years. They are rugged. I use a mobile on a power supply on one at home also. I won a FT-60 dual band about a year ago. Easy to use, but still has any whistle or bell you might want. I really like it, sold my old FT-11. If you are thinking about a dual band I highly recommend it.

For serious HF, I prefer Kenwood's, particularly the older ones. I have a TS-940 that I will keep on the air as long as I can find parts if I ever have a problem.

For any radio, the antenna is the key. A 5 watt radio will talk further with a good antenna than a 40 watt radio with a marginal antenna. Good luck to you. Ken - WB5Y

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only problem with a radio that will give you much range is the licensing problem. The used business band radios are generally for business only and the FCC and others look for infractions pretty heavily if there is any other type traffic on them. If the SHTF, it might not matter. They can tell us to turn off the ham community radios with an emergency order also.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea what MURS is... I'll have to research that one.

As for HAM, I'm indifferent to it. I just want a solid, easy to use system. I'm not against HAM, but just haven't given it any attention. I was looking for a more grab and go situation seeing as I'm not going to get my wife and kids through a licensing process..

I know what you mean. HAM seems like it would be tough. Here's a little bit of info on MURS:

http://www.itstactical.com/digicom/comms/the-best-kept-secret-in-radio-communication/

Latest posts

Top Bottom