What is going on with my barrel? Just fouling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was Federal Armament based on his previous post. Looking at their site, it looks like poorly cast and copper washed lead at best.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mix up 50/50 mix of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
Plug the chamber end of the barrel with an ear plug or something pour the 50/50 into the muzzle while holding it over the sink.
keep it in there about 3 minutes or so. it will eat the lead if that is what it is... slowly eat and soften it anyway.

Then pour it out and brush it.. you may need to do this 3 times or so .

If it is lead it will foam up a little.
Use rubber gloves.. or just wash hands very well after you clean it all out.

I used that when Chore boy would not work.

I had my dads never cleaned 357 mag .. the grooves from start to finish were filled with lead. And had sat for 20 years since shot.

Try that mix you will like it for removing lead.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mix up 50/50 mix of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
Plug the chamber end of the barrel with an ear plug or something pour the 50/50 into the muzzle while holding it over the sink.
keep it in there about 3 minutes or so. it will eat the lead if that is what it is... slowly eat and soften it anyway.

Then pour it out and brush it.. you may need to do this 3 times or so .

If it is lead it will foam up a little.
Use rubber gloves.. or just wash hands very well after you clean it all out.

I used that when Chore boy would not work.

I had my dads never cleaned 357 mag .. the grooves from start to finish were filled with lead. And had sat for 20 years since shot.

Try that mix you will like it for removing lead.
it works, but the resulting mixture is really hazardous. not dump in the sink or out in the pasture

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dirty smoke is the powder.
I shoot matches most every weekend somewhere. Some guys pistols look like they are shooting a black powder muzzle loader. Fouling in this case has nothing to do with the powder used.
Ive just never shot anything this smokey. I mean at times of shooting faster strings it obstructed my view some what. My throat hurt afterwards. It was like I was shooting in a poorly ventilated indoor range yet I was shooting outdoors.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, Tried soaking it in solvent that didnt work. Tried Vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and that seemed to work but it took 10-15 minutes of scrubbing with copper wool around a brush and that finally did the trick

. IMG_5671.JPG IMG_5671.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5672.JPG
    IMG_5672.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 110

Latest posts

Top Bottom