what is your trunk monkey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had my house broken into and had guns stolen. Long story that has been on here, but none the less it can happen anywhere.

The story is that a handgun is used to buy time to get to your rifle. It makes sense when you look through the multiple threads on this forum and on the net that show a pistol is not a show stopper or a one round killer in most cases.
He/she that that owns the biggest firepower typically wins the fight.

I gotta go with Dennis on this one. In my experience, I would want both a handgun and a rifle in my wagon. My handgun is attached to my hip, therefore I think the idea of a mag-fed rifle for the vehicle is a great idea.

I don't commonly partake in the practice of carrying 5+ mags on my person(as I imagine you guys don't either), mainly because I'm a creature of comfort. The shootings(that I would consider a gunfight) that I've been around and/or studied have far exceeded the round limit of one pistol magazine. That being said, I would feel massively outgunned with the capacity is commonly carried on my/your person. The common scenario of a car-jacking or a hold-up involving an armed assailant could probably be resolved by the "if you can't get em in one mag, you ain't gonna get em" theory but we all know that it's not efficient to plan for that one scenario. In my opinion, when it comes to survival for me and my family, there are no rules.

Personally I choose to not limit myself based on the common scenario. In today's world you really never know what could happen. I think a rifle handgun and go-bag are must have's based on my method of thinking.

I do however have to pass credit of responsibility to those who elect not to carry long guns in vehicles for the fear of them getting stolen. The last thing we need (especially with current politics) if for rightful guns to get in the wrong hands and committing a violent crime. This is Definately a balancing act.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but again I cannot think of any circumstance that I would need need a rifle on my day to day errands.
If you remember the Reginald Denny affair, maybe you could see the reason behind a long gun in the vehicle. Maybe you're just travelling thru the city when news that hoodlums don't want to hear comes down, and they hear it but you don't. Suddenly all you want to do is get home and protect your family. Is a pistol gonna be enough? Far-fetched? Maybe...but with the rise of social media and its attendant "flash mobs", a calm day can go to hell in an awful hurry.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to have a rifle in the Jeep at all times mainly because I and all my friends/family enjoy shooting and given the fact that we don't live in the city and aren't restricted to "official" ranges, you never know when the need arises to settle a bet with your brother. There have been many occasions when visiting friends or family that a competition arises and you have a much better chance of winning said bet/challenge with your own rifle rather than something they happen to be familiar with.

Try shooting a coke bottle around midnight under truck headlights in your brother's pasture at 100 yards with his Marlin .30-.30 that shoots 3 inches left (A fact he chose not to share) to see who has to wash who's truck after a particularly wet hunting trip a couple days earlier. That will make you want to carry your OWN rifle at all times.

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I'm too afraid to leave a firearm in my vehicle over night. I know the majority of the people with vehicle break ins in my neighborhood are because they leave their cars unlocked. I don't feel sorry for them when they get on the facebook neighborhood page and complain. My next door neighbor just had her second purse stolen out of her vehicle. Some just don't learn. I only have an expandable baton and flashlight in the truck. I carry a pistol when I am driving so that's all I'm working with right now.

Gatorshark

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_12_31_7a0fb156578cdafa3cf4ad663cd4d497.jpg

This.

RugerSooner

Speedy Gonzalez
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I keep a small shot gun in my truck. Of course it's in a case with unloaded chamber, but is it lawful to keep ammo in the case with the shotgun?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same thing I do with my carry gun: Leave it in the car. HGL = legal mag-loaded rifle &/or handgun. Both are legal to be left in the car on school property with the HGL.

Where does SDA state that a rifle can be left in locked vehicle on school grounds?
I understand the law changed for handguns to be left in cars, I just didn't think rifles were added.

Latest posts

Top Bottom