What level of retention for open carry holsters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma requires a holster for open carry (and common sense requires a holster for concealed carry.) So, if you open carry, what level of retention is your open carry holster? Concealed carriers can chime in on this one, too.

I got a Safariland 7378 ALS paddle holster for my S&W Model 37 a few weeks back. I've found it to be more convenient than the Speed Safety spring holster I've been using for it, and it's still concealable. I didn't get the 567BL belt loop accessory with it. (eBay, what can I say?) The holster is available on holsters.com in left and right hand, and the belt loops are available for about $6.00. Shipping for the belt loop is $5.00.

The ALS system is very secure and very fast. Anyone trying a "snatch" would be pretty surprised.

Most of my belt holsters are just thumb breaks, including my duty holster. The spring holster I referenced has a detachable safety strap that I rarely used.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma requires a holster for open carry (and common sense requires a holster for concealed carry.) So, if you open carry, what level of retention is your open carry holster? Concealed carriers can chime in on this one, too.

I got a Safariland 7378 ALS paddle holster for my S&W Model 37 a few weeks back. I've found it to be more convenient than the Speed Safety spring holster I've been using for it, and it's still concealable. I didn't get the 567BL belt loop accessory with it. (eBay, what can I say?) The holster is available on holsters.com in left and right hand, and the belt loops are available for about $6.00. Shipping for the belt loop is $5.00.

The ALS system is very secure and very fast. Anyone trying a "snatch" would be pretty surprised.

Most of my belt holsters are just thumb breaks, including my duty holster. The spring holster I referenced has a detachable safety strap that I rarely used.

If you know how a Safariland works the ALS is very easy to defeat. I do it quite often during training on safarilands with the ALS/SLS combo.

I prefer a Serpa but that's just me.

Use what works for you.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Blackhawk SERPA as well. OWB and still concealable if I really need to but keep an Uncle Mike's in the glove box if I need it to be even more concealed.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you know how a Safariland works the ALS is very easy to defeat. I do it quite often during training on safarilands with the ALS/SLS combo.

I prefer a Serpa but that's just me.

Use what works for you.

IF you know how a Safariland works... I'm concerned about some anti-gun nut or unsupervised child trying to grab my handgun on the spur of the moment. Don't really want to hurt someone unnecessarily, and my handgun retention training centered on that.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF you know how a Safariland works... I'm concerned about some anti-gun nut or unsupervised child trying to grab my handgun on the spur of the moment. Don't really want to hurt someone unnecessarily, and my handgun retention training centered on that.

More likely that an actual criminal is going to try a gun grab than a child or "anti-gun nut".

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my 5.11 "Thumbdrive" holster, easy to draw, all but impossible to get from the front and hard to get from the rear.

djdavis75

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Safariland 6378 ALS with ALS Guard and Belt Attachment for open carry. It works well for open carry and is still pretty fast to draw from with some practice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom