What material to fill a gap between wood stock and receiver.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer that came with a side mounted scope base. I don't like the base but i cant just remove it due to the gap the old base would leave. Im thinking about cutting down the aluminum mount and reinstalling it to recess below the stock. The other option I see is filling it with a synthetic putty. But don't want it permanent obviously. Any ideas?
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_03_13_798a29b360e6c7ad5e60e6befb693a3e.jpg

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A skilled craftsman could probably make the repair with a piece of wood. It wouldn't be something a klutz like me would tackle, but there are people that could do it, I suppose. Nice score on the M-S, btw. What caliber is it?

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one is a 30-06. Thanks!
Thats a good idea on the epoxy/saw dust. I cut the mount and filed it to fit just below the stock. Looks good. Might do something else another day.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Durham's rock hard water putty. It works well as a wood substitute - you can stain it or form it to meet your needs. You can find it at any lumberyard. You can't stain epoxy or usually even paint it (with any reliability).

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could remove the butt plate and drill a hole it the butt drill slow with low pressure , mix up the epoxy then mix in the the

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Durham's rock hard water putty. It works well as a wood substitute - you can stain it or form it to meet your needs. You can find it at any lumberyard. You can't stain epoxy or usually even paint it (with any reliability).
You can also find Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty at any real--read old-fashioned--hardware store. I would have never thought about that stuff for stock repair/filling, but it does make sense. I may have to bring some home and try it out on a Mauser stock that needs some filling in. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom