Whatcha Got That’s Old?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No real idea as to the age of these items as two of them were picked up off of an old battlefield. (At least, supposedly from an old battle field.) A friend and I had taken a 3-day pass from our base in Pakistan and went up to Kabul, Afghanistan. We were fortunate that we could stay with other Army personnel that were stationed to the embassy there.

The local Afghans would go out and pick up old weapons from past battles and "rebuild" them to sell. A number of our fellow soldiers had come back from Kabul with full length cap and ball muskets. I stumbled upon this "carbine-style" cap and ball rifle and sword, which were both supposed to have been rescued from the earth. I imagine the rifle has a new stock, and perhaps the same for the saber's scabbard. The shield is a modern knock-off because the ones taken from the battlefields were in really bad shape, although one with dents from sabers might have been neat.

As soon as we got back to the home of the GI we were staying with, he took the weapon and pulled out the ramrod and stuck it down the barrel. It seems that in the past, some of the embassy GI's would put on a cap and "fire-off" the weapons, and one guy allowed his child to shoot the cap and ball pistol. Only that time, the ball in the weapon had been dislodged enough to actually fire the ball out. The GI supposedly got the ball in his shoulder.

The carbine was meant to be fired from horse (or camel) back and I love the saber.

There is a thriving arms industry in that area for cottage made firearms so they may not be that old. I have seen knockoff Enfields built in 308, 8mm, 7.62 x 54R and a few other calibers. Many with extended mags. I got to fire a 40 rd mag Bren LMG in 7.62x54R. That was a real thrill. First full auto I ever fired.

It amazed me to see the work they could do without electricity including barrel making and rifling.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The carbine was meant to be fired from horse (or camel) back and I love the saber.

There is a thriving arms industry in that area for cottage made firearms so they may not be that old. I have seen knockoff Enfields built in 308, 8mm, 7.62 x 54R and a few other calibers. Many with extended mags. I got to fire a 40 rd mag Bren LMG in 7.62x54R. That was a real thrill. First full auto I ever fired.

It amazed me to see the work they could do without electricity including barrel making and rifling.

All true with regards to the "thriving arms industry," however, if you saw the workmanship of that rifle, you would NOT associate it with anyone that really knew firearms. Maybe I should take it down and take pictures of some of the crappy detail. While I saw the rifle as very interesting and extremely unique, there was/is no way that I would EVER try to fire it, even if the only "explosive" was the primer cap.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if it's the oldest thing I have...I'll have to think on that. But I have this really nice Trenton anvil that was made in 1899. For some reason I have a thing for anvils...they fascinate me. I don't use them for blacksmithing...just like to look at them and imagine what's been made on them.

This one is 166 pounds and and I bought it in Bonner's Ferry, ID while on a solo bike trip. It rode behind me on my Road King all the way back to Lewiston.

View attachment 328230
like to have that

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
799060A3-5239-4856-A0C3-BBD791297720.jpeg

1887 Elgin and 1897 American Waltham, both run & keep time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom