when did serial numbers start??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't speak for Remington in particular but AFAIK serial numbers started showing up on a wide scale in 1968.

That makes me feel better. I picked up an old 552 basket case for $2 (no typo) with a date code of april 1958 ! I just could not find a serial number.

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about Remington rifles, but I've got a Remington Automatic Shotgun (pre-Model 11) that has a 3 digit serial from the first year of production, 1905.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Serial numbers on some 19th century guns, carrying on into the 20th, were repeated over and again. This was more common on the lower priced handguns, as well as long guns. Many of the lower priced guns into the 1960's, such as the .22 basic rifle you mention, did not have s/n's at all.

The federal gov is much more particular about serial numbers these days, with standards relating to size, depth and non-repeatability.

Needless to say, one doesn't want a modern gun with an altered or very weakly marked s/n. Gun shops/'smiths cringe when one walks in the door. Generally they won't have anything to do with said shootin' iron.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Voluntary - since guns were invented.
Reguired in US - Pistols-GCA of 1934 - Rifles & Shotguns GCA of 1968

MAS GunWorks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The remington 552 was first produced in 1956 they made very few in that year so most poductions start dating in 1957.
No serial numbers were put on the Remington rimfire models until mandatory in 1968 by federal law. Serial numbers were not used only on the rimfire models.
So if you want to find out how old it is there is a barrel date code on the left side of the barrel near the receiver. Find the letters and look on this link to get your month and year of production or call Remington.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/remington_date_code.htm