When does your 1911 come off safety?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About the time I decide I'm going to pull the trigger. That could be anywhere from just clearing the holster, to the muzzle pointing at someone's forehead, or anywhere in between.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was trained to unlock the slide while punching the pistol out to the target.... trigger finger in register until ready to break the shot.

Re- engage on the way back to close retention.

I find myself doing that 99% of the time...training must stick if you practice enough

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no 1911 but i have 1911 style controls... always thumb down when extending to isosceles.

progression is
unholster, add second hand, thumb down the safety while extending to fire.
really natural once i figured it out

if you make a fist and stick your thumb up vertically, bring your elbow in. now when you extend your fist bring your thumb down... it's a really natural movement. i think i do it on unrelated tasks now... probably how i dropped my laptop.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats a safety? I just don't put my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to "End" what I'm aiming at. If I'm reaching for it, its already ready to go...

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was carrying 1911s it was at position 2 of the standard four position presentation. For those not familiar this is at the side of your pecs, gun pointed down range, just before your support hand goes on the gun for press out.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was taught to take it off safe right after the pistol was removed from the holster and rotated towards the target. That way you could make a quick shot from your side if needed.

1) up 2) rotate 3) saftey off 4) punch out

Latest posts

Top Bottom