Which blackpowder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm in the market for a good blackpowder! I was curious what all you have and how you like it! Also if your shopping for a new one which ones are you looking at?

Thanks for your time!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost all of the new inlines will work well provided you find the proper load. I would say you should stay away from the pellets. They offer minimal increase in convenience, they are more expensive and for most guns they don't give very good accuracy. Get the bullets you want to use. Shoot a fouling load. Then use a spit patch/dry patch technique between shots. You can get shot to shot consistency for 100 shots or more before you have to clean it. I'd start out with about 90 grains of powder and go up from there until you find something consistent. I can hit a golf ball just about every time at 100 yards with mine. There is no reason you shouldn't have that type of consistency. Also, if it is 209 primed, I would suggest getting adapter to convert that to regular rifle primers. The 209's are too hot with too much punch. They can dislodge the bullet and powder charge enough to throw you off.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my cva bobcat sidelock 1:48 twist with 90gr pyrodex and 295 gr Powerbelt HP copper.
This puts them down and they stay down..accuracy is as good as my model 94 30-30..
I liked that bobcat so much that i got another..

My son has the cva Kodiak magnum inline..hates pyrodex and hates powerbelt bullets.
he shoots TC saboted projectile 300gr and 90gr 777 powder winchester? 209 cleanbore primers.
Very accurate. twist rate is 1:28

a buddy had a 1:36 twist inline..could not find a load that worked...we recently bored out the riflings and made a shotgun out of it.. cut barrel down also...tough looking gun now...

every gun is different and you will more than likely need to try a few loads to find the sweet one.

edit:
I have found the TC 1000 bore butter was creating the dreaded crud ring..
I now use coconut oil and candle wax mix for lube or storage.. no more crud ring..
Got that crud ring info from a buddy that did a bunch of testing of lubes...
But the lube i use was my own concoction.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are wanting to hunt deer with it I would say to get an inline.

There are many different reasons to get a BP gun. If you want some fun shooting get a revolver. If it is for nostalgia you might get a flintlock. A .32 or.36 cal side lock percussion would be good for small game.

A BP deer rifle with some of the special projectiles can be expensive to shoot. A round ball gun and a mould can be cheap to shoot.

You can fine tune a load with a BP gun and spend as much time doing it as you can reloading a brass case. Even the round ball shooters will try many different types and thicknesses of cloth for a patch.

You can end up with as many accessories as a bow hunter. You have to narrow it down some to make a good pick.

I have two side lock percussion rifles and a double barrel shotgun. If I buy another one it will be a Ruger Old Army stainless revolver.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up shooting a Thompson Center Hawken that my dad has. I always planned on purchasing an inline when those started coming out. My uncle gave my one just like my dads, so saved me some money there. Mine had a different twist than my fathers and I had to experiment with some different projectiles and powders until I found a good accurate load. Once you find that accurate load, you may not ever change anything again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom