Which Mauser?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been itching for some action lately and have decided I need a Mauser in my collection (who doesn't?). What mauser would you all suggest for a guy that just wants one? I'd prefer a K98 but I've seen many others out there that are newer production and easier on the eye than most of the old beat up K98s I've seen. Maybe something like the VZ 24s?

So what would you suggest as a good affordable mauser that has a good reputation for quality, smooth action, and accuracy and is readily available?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll go first!
I have, and recommend, a Swedish Mauser.It's the m96, and was made in 1902. It's a great rifle. It's comfortable to shoot, accurate(more so than I am!) and reliable.I've also taken two deer with it!
Being the m96, it doesn't have the improvements that the m98s have, but it is still a reliable gun.
Just a suggestion. Others more knowledgeable than I will have other suggestions.
Rick W

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with it.

The richest history, I'd say, goes to the K98. One in good shape can do just about anything you can ask of it, though there are a lot of them in mediocre or worse and they can be some of the most expensive ones. The Russian capture ones usually aren't too bad though.

Persian M98/29's are very nice, smooth and accurate if you want an 8mm. They're usually not cheap, but less than an equivalent orginal German Mauser.

If you want it for hunting, I'd agree with Rick on a Swedish Mauser. They can be had in great condition, have a reputation for outstanding accuracy and is a relatively soft, flat shooting rifle. The M96 probably isn't the best for packing around in the woods, though. For that, I'd go with the M94 carbine.

If you want a cheap, fun shooter, go with a Yugo M48 or a 24/47. Either can be had for $150-200. They don't have the history and rep, but they can get the job done. M48's can be had in like new condition to, so they are usually quite accurate.

There are a lot of neat South American Mausers with really cool crests. They are often odd ball (to us) calibers, so you have to consider than if you want to shoot it much.

If you can't tell, I love Mausers of all kinds. :hypnotize:

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll go first!
I have, and recommend, a Swedish Mauser.It's the m96, and was made in 1902. It's a great rifle. It's comfortable to shoot, accurate(more so than I am!) and reliable.I've also taken two deer with it!
Being the m96, it doesn't have the improvements that the m98s have, but it is still a reliable gun.
Just a suggestion. Others more knowledgeable than I will have other suggestions.
Rick W

Another option here would be the model 96/38. shorter bbl, little nicer bolt handle and just as accurate.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Swedish M96/38 and a German K98. Both are sweet shooting rifles with the Swede being a tad sweeter. I'd recommend one of each! I've got a VZ24 also but I would put it 3rd on the list.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mauser;
Swede 6.5X55MM
Spanish/Odevido 7X57MM
German K98 7.9X57/8MM
Or if you really want something to have a blast(No Pun) with!
K31 Swiss pull bolt 7.5X55MM

Last but not least is the 98 Mauser in 9.3X62MM

Latest posts

Top Bottom