Which rifle to get? Money IS an object

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which rifle would you get?

• JP LRP-07

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • DTA HTI .375CT

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you get a JP-LRP 07 or a DTA HTI .375 Cheytac? I am saving up for a "top end" LR rifle (Training will be separate funds, so please refrain from suggesting a 22lr/cheaper rifle and training ;) ). I am a beginner to LR shooting, but believe in "buy once, cry once". I also like to KNOW that any errors are mine and mine alone, and not the equipment. I realize that the two really aren't similar or in the same category, but I'm torn between the two :) . Any persuasion in either direction is appreciated. Hopefully someday when money is less an object I will have both, but for now, it's (hopefully) one of them.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
308 is NOT a SUPER LONG range round. My N6 with 18 heavy drops like a rock past 800ish. It will shoot a 1000, but there is lots better, like 6.5.

Ammo will be crazy for any Chey-tac, but they are supposed to be the best. Guess a CNC machined round helps that, but a cost. Have you looked at 338 Lapua? I know Barrett has a nice bolt gun.

What distance are you shooting? If its 1000 and in, get then JP it will get the job done.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have clarified, I know the .308 isn't a super long range cartridge, but I have other .308s and for a semi I like ammo to be plentiful. I'm currently shooting under 1000, but I like that the .375 has "room to grow". I do also really like the JP though. I realize the choices are not at all similar :)

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which car to get? Money IS an object?
Grave Digger or Enzo?

static.tumblr.com_mzt8g1y_60Nmbk268_200px_trollface.svg.png

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which car to get? Money IS an object?
Grave Digger or Enzo?

static.tumblr.com_mzt8g1y_60Nmbk268_200px_trollface.svg.png

I'm laughing over here. I almost used the car analogy myself when acknowledging the difference in the two rifles (though mine was going to be Porsche vs Humvee).

I should clarify, when I said money is an object what I mean is I do have to do a lot of saving to afford either of these so the "buy both" idea I knew someone would toss in wouldn't work. That's what makes the decision so hard... it's one or the other :)

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have clarified, I know the .308 isn't a super long range cartridge, but I have other .308s and for a semi I like ammo to be plentiful. I'm currently shooting under 1000, but I like that the .375 has "room to grow". I do also really like the JP though. I realize the choices are not at all similar :)

Truthfully and I know I'll get fried for this but it doesn't sound like you need a new gun, just stay with your current bolt 308s or sell them to get a semi. Unless you are going past 1000 regulary? No need at all for the Cheytac, wouldn't even stretch it's legs and ammo costs way no much.

Also in 308 look at Gap

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Truthfully and I know I'll get fried for this but it doesn't sound like you need a new gun, just stay with your current bolt 308s or sell them to get a semi. Unless you are going past 1000 regulary? No need at all for the Cheytac, wouldn't even stretch it's legs and ammo costs way no much.

Also in 308 look at Gap

I looked at the GAP 10 quite extensively and like it a lot, but second to the JP. And logically you are totally correct, but this is sort of a reward to myself for a big milestone. And yeah, not having a current place to stretch the legs of the Cheytac is the main draw-back for it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... that .375 CheyTac video is crazy!

I want one! :D

I'd agree, though, if you're seldom shooting over 1000 yards, it's kinda overkill. But damn, wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of capability??? :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom