Which rifle to get? Money IS an object

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which rifle would you get?

• JP LRP-07

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • DTA HTI .375CT

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "best" rifle to learn long range marksmanship is different from the "most capable" long range rifle.
Using a car analogy, you would not utilize the same car to learn to drive a car on public streets as you would to race in Formula One.

As a beginner, you need a rifle that helps with the learning process as much as possible.

What you DON'T want is a rifle that costs a bunch every time you pull the trigger because you will not send enough rounds down range to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship.
You also do not want a rifle that has a lot of recoil because that will ingrain bad habits rather than reinforcing good habits.

What you are looking for in a training rifle is a platform that is easy on the shoulder and easy on the pocket book but capable to reach whatever yardage you consider "long range".
It also needs to fit you correctly so that you will be enjoy shooting enough rounds to become more skillful.

Long range marksmanship is a skill that deteriorates without constant use.

That was a bit long winded but I have seen many people making the same mistake.

If you really want to learn to be a proficient long range rifleman, here are my recommendations.
1. Purchase a .308 Winchester bolt rifle that has a heavy barrel and decent trigger from any of the major players (Remington, Winchester, Savage) and a decent quality scope that has external adjustments which allow you to easily see the adjustments as they are made. None of the "removable caps and using a quarter to adjust the scope". Buy rings and a base that keeps the scope down close to the barrel. Buy a case of Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal Match ammunition even if you reload so that you can focus on marksmanship and not get side tracked by ammunition issues. Here is a usable rig for sale in the classifieds http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?190539-Fn-spr-308-with-Nightforce-Optics

Even though you say it is a separate cost item I would recommend;
2. Sign up for a long range marksmanship class at Badlands Tactical Training. They are located in Oklahoma just North of Wichita Falls, Texas.
3. Spend a few days learning how to shoot a rifle properly from instructors that know what they are doing and know how to teach people how to shoot a rifle correctly.

There are other ways to get there but what I have summarized is a very efficient way to gain the skill level you seem to be looking for without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "best" rifle to learn long range marksmanship is different from the "most capable" long range rifle.
Using a car analogy, you would not utilize the same car to learn to drive a car on public streets as you would to race in Formula One.

As a beginner, you need a rifle that helps with the learning process as much as possible.

What you DON'T want is a rifle that costs a bunch every time you pull the trigger because you will not send enough rounds down range to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship.
You also do not want a rifle that has a lot of recoil because that will ingrain bad habits rather than reinforcing good habits.

What you are looking for in a training rifle is a platform that is easy on the shoulder and easy on the pocket book but capable to reach whatever yardage you consider "long range".
It also needs to fit you correctly so that you will be enjoy shooting enough rounds to become more skillful.

Long range marksmanship is a skill that deteriorates without constant use.

That was a bit long winded but I have seen many people making the same mistake.

If you really want to learn to be a proficient long range rifleman, here are my recommendations.
1. Purchase a .308 Winchester bolt rifle that has a heavy barrel and decent trigger from any of the major players (Remington, Winchester, Savage) and a decent quality scope that has external adjustments which allow you to easily see the adjustments as they are made. None of the "removable caps and using a quarter to adjust the scope". Buy rings and a base that keeps the scope down close to the barrel. Buy a case of Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal Match ammunition even if you reload so that you can focus on marksmanship and not get side tracked by ammunition issues. Here is a usable rig for sale in the classifieds http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?190539-Fn-spr-308-with-Nightforce-Optics

Even though you say it is a separate cost item I would recommend;
2. Sign up for a long range marksmanship class at Badlands Tactical Training. They are located in Oklahoma just North of Wichita Falls, Texas.
3. Spend a few days learning how to shoot a rifle properly from instructors that know what they are doing and know how to teach people how to shoot a rifle correctly.

There are other ways to get there but what I have summarized is a very efficient way to gain the skill level you seem to be looking for without breaking the bank.

Thanks! Badlands is actually exactly where I was planning on going. Rates seem reasonable for the reviews I've read, my only problem is scheduling as I work and am in school... so I probably won't be able to attend their class until the fall time. I would love to eventually go through all their precision rifle courses.

I do have a Remington 5R .308 that I like shooting a lot, my groups are usually under about 2" at 200 yards... So not great, but I'm working on it. So far the load that I've found to work the best is 42 grains of Ram-tac under a 168 SMK.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted .308, but if you want the option of going past 1k, have you looked at 300 Win mag options?

I have looked at those and do want one someday; the main appeal of the .375 is it's "ultimate long range" status... Which in thinking about it is probably a bad reason to buy it. I do have a 7mm Rem Mag that I can shoot out a bit past 1000.

P.S. - The Mitch Rapp novels are great, awesome screen-name.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you reloading your own ammo or shooting factory? That's as big of a consideration for me as the actual rifle. I don't own a 338 simply because I really don't have a great place to shoot it and it would be very expensive to play at medium ranges with. I would stick with a 308 or 6.5 category rifle and go from there. With one of the 6.5 cartridges you can easily get to 1000. Don't forget that while the rifle is important, the glass on top of that rifle is equally important.

Since we are using car analogies: just because you own a Ferrari does not mean you are Fernando Alonso. Money buys the gear and practice earns the skill.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you reloading your own ammo or shooting factory? That's as big of a consideration for me as the actual rifle. I don't own a 338 simply because I really don't have a great place to shoot it and it would be very expensive to play at medium ranges with. I would stick with a 308 or 6.5 category rifle and go from there. With one of the 6.5 cartridges you can easily get to 1000. Don't forget that while the rifle is important, the glass on top of that rifle is equally important.

Since we are using car analogies: just because you own a Ferrari does not mean you are Fernando Alonso. Money buys the gear and practice earns the skill.

I mostly reload, though occasionally don't have time and buy factory. I'm pretty sure for now I'm going to go with the JP. Someday in the not TOO distant future I hope to have 4-600 acres I can put a range on and then will look into the HTI.

And I completely know the tool doesn't give me the skill. I just have learned from past experience that it's cheaper to buy the best you can first rather than upgrading as you outgrow. Plus, then you know with pretty good certainty any errors are on you and not the equipment.

filobeto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with the Cheytac. I have never seen one used in person. I think the value would hold as everybody wants one, combine that with the fact that they are rare. The resale value has be really good. I understand you wanting to go fat early. I used to shoot a lot of bullseye. I saw a ton of people start with Star, then to a springer, to gold cup , to a Caspian, to a Les Baer and finally land on a full custom like a Clark or something. Through the progression they spent enough to buy 2 of what they landed on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom